Respected Contributor

Re: Same Store Here, There, Everywhere.......

@hckynut

In my almost 74 years, I totally agree with you about change....some good, some abuses, some dangerous.

Hopefully, those in sales can go back to training and learn the needed new skills while providing for their families.  After my Bell System career, I was involved in career counseling and helping folks conduct job / career searches.  It takes a long time to get folks to acknowledge the new skills they need to learn.  A lot don’t have the money nor the time because of different types of family issues.

When I look at businesses now, a lot of times greed is at the core of their decision making.  Growth will continue to happen, no matter what.  Not true...the human cost of their decisions comes home to roost too late.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

There are also WaWa & 7-11 stores on every corner. Smiley LOL

and a Bank of America and Wells Fargo across the street from each other & Walgreens and CVS on the other corner here!

Respected Contributor

They have two Mattress Firms near me that face each other on each side of the street. They are always empty. It has been noted by lots of people around here that this was, at the very least, a poor business plan. Rumors going around too about possible illegal shenanigans. That is problematic for a business as well.

Honored Contributor

@jlkz

I've always thought that most mattress stores are lucky to break even, financially.

In spite of the convenient locations, and great sales, just how often do you buy a mattess?   I know people who have a mattress that they bought 20+ years ago!

Honored Contributor

With the rise of shopping centers, Mom & Pop were put out of business and downtowns shuttered.  

Just the cycle of things.   

Honored Contributor

Amazon killed off the bookstores and now opens their own stores with limited stock.  

Walmart killed off many independent stores all across the country.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@jlkz

I've always thought that most mattress stores are lucky to break even, financially.

In spite of the convenient locations, and great sales, just how often do you buy a mattess?   I know people who have a mattress that they bought 20+ years ago!

The husband and I aren’t so ‘energetic’ that we break mattresses but we haven’t had a mattress last 20 years:/

Besides the B&M mattress stores, there are oodles of mattress brands sold almost exclusively online.

Respected Contributor

I don't understand the need for all the Starbucks stores. 

Valued Contributor

While speaking with a friend today, she told me about her new mattress she ordered.  She ordered it from a school fundraiser, she said the schools have had them for a few years and are making money.

She is in CA.

Trusted Contributor

It all seems very cyclical to me.  The big stores acquire the smaller ones in a consolidation cycle but soon after new, innovative smaller stores pop up and grow, usually based on new, innovative products, and provide much needed competition to the bigger stores.  The brands that don’t survive are those who don’t evolve the brand with the market/technology/etc changes.  JMO.