Regular Contributor

@DiAnnewrote:

I like to buy the thin tail sections.  Sprinkle presenation side with klosher salt and freshly ground pepper.   I put them in a pre-heated skillet with a little oil, presentation side down (skin side up) and saute for approximately 3 min (or until the it lets loose).  Flip and add a little water or white wine, put lid on skillet, take off heat.  In about 5 to 7 min you should have perfectly cooked fish.  

I like this @DiAnne! Think I'll try it. Thanks! (DH & I love salmon!) 

Honored Contributor

About the only decent fish left.  As in no Mercury, etc.  Horrible how befowled  the ocean is and overfished.  I've stopped eating Tuna long ago.  Evan Bass (best fish tasting along with Salmon) has Mercury in it. Anyway love Salmon broiled, baked.  Love it Smoked.  Thank goodness for decent fish left.

Honored Contributor

Here is my recipe for delicious salmon:

RECIPE – SALMON MARINATED WITH HICKORY SYRUP*

1 lb. fresh salmon (cut into individual servings)

1 tbsp. olive oil

1 tbsp. soy sauce

1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 tbsp. hickory syrup

Directions:

Mix oil, sauces and syrup together.  Brush on both sides of salmon.  Let stand about 8 to 10 minutes.  Place in hot pan, sprinkle with almonds, and cook for about 7 minutes per side. 

*If you don't have hickory syrup on hand you could try maple syrup.

Serve with macaroni and cheese and a side salad.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

@songbirdwrote:

About the only decent fish left.  As in no Mercury, etc.  Horrible how befowled  the ocean is and overfished.  I've stopped eating Tuna long ago.  Evan Bass (best fish tasting along with Salmon) has Mercury in it. Anyway love Salmon broiled, baked.  Love it Smoked.  Thank goodness for decent fish left.

@songbird

I love tuna.  That being said, I do know it does have quite a bit of mercury in it.  I try to limit it to once a week, but even that is too much.  

It's my favorite seafood--ahi.

I love salmon and scallops, crab and lobster too.  I try to eat wild salmon, but it's so hard to find-especially at restaurants. 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

@Toppers3wrote:

Here is my Mother-in-Law's recipe for Salmon Patties.

I have adjusted it a little bit.

Salmon Patties

Ingredients:

1-14 and 1/2 oz. can of pink or red salmon

2 large eggs

2 teaspoons of fresh squeezed lemon juice, or 2 teaspoons bottled lemon juice

Finely ground or ground black pepper to taste

Dry or finely chopped fresh parsley to taste

1 small onion finely grated–or can use powdered or minced onion to taste if you prefer, or can even omit if you don’t like onions.

1 whole sleeve, plus 1 quarter sleeve of Saltine crackers, crushed–I crush them by hand in a large Zipper-type bag, but you can also use a rolling pin to crush them or a food processor.

You will also need:

Bowl for mixing the salmon and everything else in.

Large skillet for frying patties in

Cooking oil for frying

Paper towels and plate for patties when done frying

Lemon wedges, tartar sauce, or cocktail sauce or whatever you prefer, for serving with your salmon patties.

To Make:

Empty the salmon and the juice and bones into a bowl. Remove the round spinal bones.

Mix the juice and the rest of the skin and fish together. I leave the skin in, but if you don’t want it, you can remove it.

Add in the eggs, lemon juice, and the rest of your seasonings, ingredients, and onion.

Add in your crushed Saltines.

Stir ingredients together by hand and mix well.

I let the mixture set for several minutes, before I form into small-medium sized patties. I can usually get about 16 patties out of a can, with the size that I prefer to make them.

We usually get two separate meals out of them.

You can make the patties larger if you like, but mine turn out to be about the size of small crab cakes, to give you some idea of how I make mine.

While the mixture is setting up, preheat your skillet on med.-high heat. I use enough oil to coat the bottom of my pan, as I use a non-stick pan. You only want about 1/4 inch of oil in your pan.

You want to heat the patties on each side for about 4-5 minutes on each side, until they’re golden brown on one side, and then turn them over and cook for another 4-5 minutes on the other side.

Watch carefully, as they can burn easily and brown quite fast. If you think that they’re getting a little too hot or too brown, then you can adjust your heat and turn it down just a little bit.

Drain them on a paper towel on a plate.

Serve them with lemon wedges/slices, tartar sauce or cocktail sauce or whatever other sauce you like, or they’re even good just plain, too.

@Toppers3

I have the same recipe but I add sweet relish to mine. I make this recipe either in patties or in a loaf pan. 

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

@nana59wrote:

i'm 68 years old and thinking about trying salmon for the first time!  i'm not a fish lover...except for scallops.....should i give it a try?!  is it a strong flavored fish?  bones-I hate fish bones?!  what the heck does it taste like?!  thanks for helping me decide whether or not to take the plunge!

@nana59

I'm not being a smart aleck, but gees, girl,  what the heck are you waiting for?     

Have it fresh, not frozen the first time ..... maybe with a little hollandaise sauce on it ... in a nice restaurant.   If you have extra it's always good the next day cut in small chunks in a spinach salad.   

some people think it has a strong taste, and others don't.  Personally, I think it's one of the best ... and so healthy for you.    

Sounds like it may be time for you to try a few things you haven't tried....

Respected Contributor

@nana59  you should definitely try it.  If you have a Longhorn Steak House, theirs is excellent and reasonably priced.

Trusted Contributor

Hi @Coquille,

Adding sweet relish sounds like a really good idea! Smiley Happy

Thanks for sharing that idea. I wouldn't have thought to try it, otherwise! Heart

I'll have to try doing that the next time that I make them.

I bet my husband would like to try them that way too, as he loves to eat relish and some form of it/pickles can be found in tartar sauce, anyway.

Valued Contributor

We love salmon and have it at least once a week. I saw this on the Pioneer Woman (I think). You get about a lb. of salmon, season it with some olive oil and salt and pepper. Put it on a cookie sheet. Put into a cold oven and turn the oven to 400. Then turn on your timer for 30 minutes. Absolutely the best. I also roast asparagus with it or brocolli at the same time on the same cookie sheet. Delish every time!!