Respected Contributor

Make sure to get "wild caught," never "farmed."

An easy way to make salmon is to place it in a baking dish.

Sprinkle olive oil over the top, with a fresh lemon juice.  Add some Old Bay or herb sprinkles that you like.

Bake at 375 for a half hour (approx.)

Fish is done when your fork easily cuts through it and it flakes.  You don't want to overcook..it will be too dry.

Yes, there will probably be some small bones, but it's not too bad.

My favorite is the Copper River salmon, which should be coming in May or June.

Enjoy!

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

@zanna   Actually I buy a whole pie so I can have it for breakfast too.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I'm a big fan of the TV program Life Below Zero.  These Alaskan homesteaders catch tons (literally) of salmon using a fish wheel that just scoops them out of the river.  They freeze them and feed them to their sled dogs all winter.  Can you imagine, with what we pay for it?

Trusted Contributor

Here is my Mother-in-Law's recipe for Salmon Patties.

I have adjusted it a little bit.

Salmon Patties

Ingredients:

1-14 and 1/2 oz. can of pink or red salmon

2 large eggs

2 teaspoons of fresh squeezed lemon juice, or 2 teaspoons bottled lemon juice

Finely ground or ground black pepper to taste

Dry or finely chopped fresh parsley to taste

1 small onion finely grated–or can use powdered or minced onion to taste if you prefer, or can even omit if you don’t like onions.

1 whole sleeve, plus 1 quarter sleeve of Saltine crackers, crushed–I crush them by hand in a large Zipper-type bag, but you can also use a rolling pin to crush them or a food processor.

You will also need:

Bowl for mixing the salmon and everything else in.

Large skillet for frying patties in

Cooking oil for frying

Paper towels and plate for patties when done frying

Lemon wedges, tartar sauce, or cocktail sauce or whatever you prefer, for serving with your salmon patties.

To Make:

Empty the salmon and the juice and bones into a bowl. Remove the round spinal bones.

Mix the juice and the rest of the skin and fish together. I leave the skin in, but if you don’t want it, you can remove it.

Add in the eggs, lemon juice, and the rest of your seasonings, ingredients, and onion.

Add in your crushed Saltines.

Stir ingredients together by hand and mix well.

I let the mixture set for several minutes, before I form into small-medium sized patties. I can usually get about 16 patties out of a can, with the size that I prefer to make them.

We usually get two separate meals out of them.

You can make the patties larger if you like, but mine turn out to be about the size of small crab cakes, to give you some idea of how I make mine.

While the mixture is setting up, preheat your skillet on med.-high heat. I use enough oil to coat the bottom of my pan, as I use a non-stick pan. You only want about 1/4 inch of oil in your pan.

You want to heat the patties on each side for about 4-5 minutes on each side, until they’re golden brown on one side, and then turn them over and cook for another 4-5 minutes on the other side.

Watch carefully, as they can burn easily and brown quite fast. If you think that they’re getting a little too hot or too brown, then you can adjust your heat and turn it down just a little bit.

Drain them on a paper towel on a plate.

Serve them with lemon wedges/slices, tartar sauce or cocktail sauce or whatever other sauce you like, or they’re even good just plain, too.

Respected Contributor

I could live my entire life on fish..Salmon is so good for you...and delish!!

I buy hot smoked salmon from an on line place.. I don't care for cold smoked... too mushy.. & prawns/cod/sword fish/lobster/all of those and more... just not from China..

There are some delicious sauces for salmon too... we have a Crepe Place that makes a lovely smoked salmon crepe....home made honey wheat bread ...with dill sauce... 

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

@nana59 Have you ever eaten a tuna fish sandwich?...Salmon is not even close to tasting that fishy....it's so mild....a sweet flavor....I'm sorry you changed your mind. Never eat the 'steaks'...go for a cut back by the tail.....very few bones..  

One year I took a lof of steamed crabs to my ex's (wasn't ex back then) family for a big holiday feast..... they were not firmiliar with eating  steamed crabs and getting the meat out.... No one would eat them....and they are $$$$.... I was raised with fish and such.. 

Don't feel bad.... Smiley Happy

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

I love salmon and eat it frequently.  You should give it a try!  Stick with a filet and not a salmon steak and you won't have bones.  Also, you might consider having it in a restaurant first so it will be well prepared (hopefully not overcooked) and nicely seasoned.  Or, you could try teriyaki salmon in a japanese restaruant -- perhaps a combo that comes with miso soup, salad and tempura vegetables?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Toppers3  Do you suppose it would work to give the patties a spritz of oil and cook in an air fryer?  My thought is they'd be perfect for air frying.

Honored Contributor

Here are 11 amazing health benefits of salmon.

• Rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids. ...
  • Great Source of Protein. ...
  • High in B Vitamins. ...
  • Good Source of Potassium. ...
  • Loaded With Selenium. ...
  • Contains the Antioxidant Astaxanthin. ...
  • May Reduce the Risk of Heart Disease. ...
  • May Benefit Weight Control.
  • Can help fight inflammation
  • May protect brain health
  • Delicious and versatile

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/11-benefits-of-salmon#section10

Salmon tops the list of nutritional benefits in just about every study I've seen.

We try to eat it once a week, I could eat it more often.

Trusted Contributor

DH and I eat the wild caught salmon twice per month. Lately we’ve cooked the filets in the air fryer with just paprika, salt and pepper. Fabulous!