Honored Contributor

We have fresh salmon weekly. I buy "fresh," not farmed. It's easy to cook and very healthful.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@GCR18wrote:

@Irshgrl31201wrote:

I love fish of all kinds and for a first time fish person I think you would probably do better with a white flaky fish like haddock or cod. Salmon is fishier which I don't mind and it is oily fish. I only like salmon from certain stores and it is usually a lot more expensive. The best salmon I have ever had is when my brother in law went on a fishing trip to Alaska. He had a guide and as soon as they came in, it was filleted and flash frozen. It just has such a great taste that even the really expensive salmon at the better stores rarely has. Farm raised salmon just cannot compare IMO and I never eat farm raised. 

@Irshgrl31201 LOL.  I find salmon mild and not fishy.  Yes, salmon from the Pacific northwest is the best.  I get salmon at Costco.  I look for non farmed.

I think it is mild too, I am just speaking about people who really aren't into fish or seafood. That is what I have heard them say. I used to get salmon at Costco and then I got one with tons of live worms in it. I know that can happen anywhere but it freaked me out. I think there is a facebook video going around of it. I have a fish monger I have been going to since 2002 and he has the best fish all around that I have found where I live. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I grew up eating fish, shrimp, scallops, oysters, catfish, salmon. Love it. Mom made salmon patties for dinner w/diced boiled potatoes, and peas. Eat it to this day. Try grilled salmon in Caesar salad. Love it!!

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 Moving from the east coast to the Midwest was tough.  The stores here have their idea of fresh seafood and I have mine.  I buy frozen salmon at Costco.

Esteemed Contributor

@GCR18wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 Moving from the east coast to the Midwest was tough.  The stores here have their idea of fresh seafood and I have mine.  I buy frozen salmon at Costco.

Yes, my relatives live in Oklahoma so I know your struggle girl. I don't think my salmon from Costco was frozen. I also wasn't trying to put down Costco at all because I live there. Fish anywhere can have those. The salmon I got from Costco was in the aisle next to chicken wings. Hope you didn't think I was trying to put down Costco though @GCR18 Heart

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

Sam's carries a Blackened Salmon and it is delicious. I normally don't like Salmon, too strong for me but I love this one. 

Honored Contributor

I would not eat it for years until I tried wild Alaskan salmon purchased in a fish store that only carries fish from the United States and Canada. We had it tonight and I put a little Grey Poupon on it while cooking. It had a slightly sweet taste and not at all strong or fishy. 

Filet of of sole is another favorite ...a very mild tasting fish.

Esteemed Contributor

Only you can decide whether you like it. Buy a small piece from your local grocery store that sells fresh fish. Some grocers will steam it for you, or you can pick up one of their recipes for baking, broiling or grilling with nothing more than a little butter and lemon. Personally, I find it stronger, but it has an interesting taste. Again, you need to just try it yourself. And no, you find bones.

Respected Contributor

I love salmon and eat it in every form--cooked, sashimi, smoked.

I agree it can be a stronger tasting fish especially if not prepared well. Overcooking will ruin  it. It definitely has a more distinct flavor than scallops.

For a first foray into fish, I would also suggest a mild, white fish. Tilapia, cod, perch, or even walleye pike. Once you work your way into liking fish, branch out to the delectable salmon!

Honored Contributor

I LOVE salmon ... both fresh and canned.

I make really, really good salmon burgers (Weight Watchers recipe), and an excellent salmon loaf.