Esteemed Contributor

i'm 68 years old and thinking about trying salmon for the first time!  i'm not a fish lover...except for scallops.....should i give it a try?!  is it a strong flavored fish?  bones-I hate fish bones?!  what the heck does it taste like?!  thanks for helping me decide whether or not to take the plunge!

Valued Contributor

I am a fairly newcomer to Salmon.  I love it.  Yes, it has a nice fairly strong flavor just use some lemon.

I also love scallops and shrimp.

Esteemed Contributor

I love fish of all kinds and for a first time fish person I think you would probably do better with a white flaky fish like haddock or cod. Salmon is fishier which I don't mind and it is oily fish. I only like salmon from certain stores and it is usually a lot more expensive. The best salmon I have ever had is when my brother in law went on a fishing trip to Alaska. He had a guide and as soon as they came in, it was filleted and flash frozen. It just has such a great taste that even the really expensive salmon at the better stores rarely has. Farm raised salmon just cannot compare IMO and I never eat farm raised. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

You've never tasted salmon?

Wow.

I love it.

My mom used to make salmon patties when we were growing up....

Honored Contributor

Salmon is a mild fish.  If you eat scallops, you will be fine with salmon.  Usually it is free of bones, but I've had a couple pieces over the years with a couple bones.  I remember them being easy to see and remove. I went out for dinner last night and had salmon.  It was excellent.  It's my favorite fish.

Honored Contributor

Of course you should try salmon.  What have you been waiting for? Life is way too short not to try everything at least once.

Personally, I love it.  

Esteemed Contributor

Order it poached (my favorite). Order it grilled. Have a bit of smoked salmon in your salad. Love that!

Flavor is quite different so you may love it prepared one way and hate it prepared another way.

This is an oily fish, but these fats are good for you.

Salmon bones are soft and edible. They're usually removed but if you get one, just chew it up like a little extra calcium.

-when my mother was removing bones from salmon and I'd come around looking for a snack, she'd give me the little round bones to chew on.

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201wrote:

I love fish of all kinds and for a first time fish person I think you would probably do better with a white flaky fish like haddock or cod. Salmon is fishier which I don't mind and it is oily fish. I only like salmon from certain stores and it is usually a lot more expensive. The best salmon I have ever had is when my brother in law went on a fishing trip to Alaska. He had a guide and as soon as they came in, it was filleted and flash frozen. It just has such a great taste that even the really expensive salmon at the better stores rarely has. Farm raised salmon just cannot compare IMO and I never eat farm raised. 

@Irshgrl31201 LOL.  I find salmon mild and not fishy.  Yes, salmon from the Pacific northwest is the best.  I get salmon at Costco.  I look for non farmed.

Esteemed Contributor

I love fish and always grew up eating fish so I was really surprised to find out the amount of my friends who not only haven't eaten fish but any type of seafood. I know a lot of people who haven't eaten salmon. I am not trying to discourage anyone from eating any type of seafood at all because I think it is great but I usually find people who are scared to eat fish in general, they usually find salmon to fishy. Now I don't know where they have gotten their fish which IMO really DOES MATTER. 

What would it hurt to try? If you don't like it take a drink of water. Buy a small amount of good salmon. I would look up different ways to prepare it and find a highly rated one that is simple so you can get the true taste of the salmon, at least at first to see how you like it then you can experiment. I love a simple marinade with lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper and a bit of butter under the broiler. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Frequent Contributor

Our family loves it If your familiar with The Kitchen shown on Food Network they prepared it with a rub using brown sugar and chili seasoning. I baked that way and it was delicious.