Honored Contributor

First time for me to Costco in many weeks and was I impressed.

I caught the last 20 minites of their senior hour -  got immediate entry after a masked attendant wiped a cart and gave it to me and the aisles inside had distance and directional markings. Not crowded.   Huge stacks of TP in the first aisle leading to the back of the store where it was usually off in a corner.

Found everything I wanted except dried cranberries but that's no big deal.   Didn't need meat, but they had a supply (limit a total of 3 packages, kinds could be combined).  I do think there would have been some empty spaces, but they'd filled them in with products usually  in other places.  Not a serious issue for me and there were employees around.

At checkout I suspect they were getting ready for regular shoppers, but that made it easy for us last few seniors to get out fast.  I was paying by credit card and an "usher" was taking us off lines very efficiently as another one opened up.  She sent me through self-checkout, but another employee used his gun to scan the codes and never touched my credit card or any of my items I'd already stacked to show the codes.

They made it good to be a senior.

Respected Contributor

Re: Safe feeling shopping trip

I just got back from a failed Costco trip LOL. I didn’t realize they had senior hours and arrived a little before 10. I saw people coming out with a line of people waiting to go in that trailed around the side of the building. I’m going to try tomorrow during the senior hour. Did they check IDs?

Esteemed Contributor

I went to Costco last week for the first time in a while. I have learned how to time my trips: a weekday evening, last hour of the day and bonus points for rain. 

All 3 were in play when I went. No line, sanitized cart given to me upon showing my membership card.

I got everything I wanted on my short list. None of it was food. Spring/ summer is one of my favorite times of the year to shop Costco. I picked up 3 of their annuals planters: garage entrance (which faces the street), alongside the front door and the deck. Lots of colors of the pots from which to choose. Also picked up 2 Charisma bath sheets for my guest bath (SO luxe and they last forever!), a great price on a pool toy (1/3 of the price I saw in the Frontgate catalogue) and a beach towel. Not sure if our community pool will open this year, but there's always next year.

Store employees were great. Floors were clearly marked at 6 foot intervals where the single file checkout line was. An employee quickly guided everyone to the next available register, including the one in the optical department, where I was led.

I got everything that I needed for the next couple of months, until I need to renew prescriptions. By then I pray that things will be closer to normal.

BTW, best gas prices I have seen.

Respected Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

I just got back from a failed Costco trip LOL. I didn’t realize they had senior hours and arrived a little before 10. I saw people coming out with a line of people waiting to go in that trailed around the side of the building. I’m going to try tomorrow during the senior hour. Did they check IDs?

@tucsongal I went to senior hour at Costco last Friday.  They did not check IDs, but there was a guy with a megaphone going up and down the line reminding us that the line was only for people 60 and older.  They had another line on the other side of the building for the younger folks that would be able to enter at 10:00.  First responders and Instacart buyers were able to go in from 8 to 9 and those that arrived after 9 did not have to wait in line.  I support first responders getting in early, but don't think instacart shoppers should have priority over seniors.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I stopped at Target around 10 this morning after an early morning Dr. visit.. Shopped, picked up an onliine order and returned clothing that had been ordered online and shipped to my home. Except for picking up the earlier online order, this was my first time shopping in the store since Christmas. 

The store was not at all crowded at that hour.  I do not usually buy food at Target. I was looking for beef and a green pepper. They did not have either.  I did find 2 of the other 3 items I had on my list as well as a really nice tee shirt for under $10.00 with my RedCard..

Most people were using the self check out, which an employee was sanitizing after each customer. I needed to use a regular register because the price check monitors were all disabled for sanitary reasons and I needed a price check on one item. No lines at any of the few registers that were open.

A good experience. Target is another store I do not frequent, but they are dealing with things well.

Honored Contributor

I'm so happy for you, @millieshops. At least we know that the conscientious people will be shopping at Costco. That filters out the nastys and riff raff we might encounter at any of the other stores and venues.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@Linmo thank you. Now that I know what I’m dealing with, I won’t mind a line a little bit earlier when it’s not too hot. 

Respected Contributor

@tucsongal I got there around 8:30 and there were about 50 people in line ahead of me.  Once they started letting the seniors in at 9, the line moved quickly and I was in by 9:05 and out by 9:45.   Checkout lines were short.  I was able to find Kleenex for the first time in 2 months.  TP and paper towels were also abundant.  Lots of seafood, but not as much meat as usual.

Respected Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

@tucsongal I got there around 8:30 and there were about 50 people in line ahead of me.  Once they started letting the seniors in at 9, the line moved quickly and I was in by 9:05 and out by 9:45.   Checkout lines were short.  I was able to find Kleenex for the first time in 2 months.  TP and paper towels were also abundant.  Lots of seafood, but not as much meat as usual.

———————————

That’s good to know. I probably will leave my house around 9 and let the line get going 😀. 

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I'm so happy for you, @millieshops. At least we know that the conscientious people will be shopping at Costco. That filters out the nastys and riff raff we might encounter at any of the other stores and venues.

@Porcelain :  Come on now.....you know better than that.  Who are these nastys and riff raff?