Honored Contributor

@EastCoastGal wrote:

@BirkiLady wrote:

@chrystaltree  What is SSA?

@BirkiLady... Looks like @chrystaltree went to bed. SSA is Social Security Disability or maybe that's SSI ?? I didn't receive my letter yet. I think my brother said he received his. I've never received any letters stating my Medicare went up. I retired at 55 ... SS at 62 and I'm 70 so seems odd that I wouldn't have received a letter. I'll have to contact SS. 

You're lucky you saved. Sorry you had to retire at 51 and then your DH passed. That's too bad. I never saved because I was on my own and couldn't afford it. A secretary in a school district didn't make that much years ago. Relieved I also receive State retirement now because I didn't save. There was always something that came up...home owner's insurance or ??

Take care @BirkiLady

@EastCoastGal.  I just received my letter yesterday so I assume they are still coming in some places.

Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@EastCoastGal wrote:

@BirkiLady wrote:

@chrystaltree  What is SSA?

@BirkiLady... Looks like @chrystaltree went to bed. SSA is Social Security Disability or maybe that's SSI ?? I didn't receive my letter yet. I think my brother said he received his. I've never received any letters stating my Medicare went up. I retired at 55 ... SS at 62 and I'm 70 so seems odd that I wouldn't have received a letter. I'll have to contact SS. 

You're lucky you saved. Sorry you had to retire at 51 and then your DH passed. That's too bad. I never saved because I was on my own and couldn't afford it. A secretary in a school district didn't make that much years ago. Relieved I also receive State retirement now because I didn't save. There was always something that came up...home owner's insurance or ??

Take care @BirkiLady

@EastCoastGal.  I just received my letter yesterday so I assume they are still coming in some places.

@proudlyfromNJ... Oh good! Thanks so much for letting me know!! 

Regular Contributor

@SharkE  We bought our LTC insurance when we were each 50.Yes, we have paid into it for many years now as I'm about to turn 70 and DH is 75. We were lucky to get it from Met Life way back when , they no longer sell it & haven't for a long time but  ours is still in effect and will cover either post hospital care at a home or in our home up to $300,000/year. It makes us feel secure to have this coverage.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, we didn't want to bite the bullet, but, when one goes into nursing home they take that one's SS check and you either have to go on private pay or Medicaid to pay for all the rest. Medicare doesn't pay much on nursing home care. It's expensive.

Ours pays up to 230,000 per individual for maximum of 4 yrs. If one dies before and doesn't need it for the full 4 yrs the one remaining can come into what they had left over. We didn't take it out till we were in 60's at the advice of finance man. We have no kids and wouldn't matter if we did they're not gonna pay your bills. LOL  200 for in-home care to stave off

going into nursing home as long as possible.

This way the one at home doesn't lose the home and assets.

I'm sure I'll be told if what i said isn't apple pie order, but, that's the highlights as I remember them. Can't remember if that in home care of 200 is a month or how many times care givers have to come out,etc.

@patofl

Regular Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Yeah, we didn't want to bite the bullet, but, when one goes into nursing home they take that one's SS check and you either have to go on private pay or Medicaid to pay for all the rest. Medicare doesn't pay much on nursing home care. It's expensive.

Ours pays up to 230,000 per individual for maximum of 4 yrs. If one dies before and doesn't need it for the full 4 yrs the one remaining can come into what they had left over. We didn't take it out till we were in 60's at the advice of finance man. We have no kids and wouldn't matter if we did they're not gonna pay your bills. LOL  200 for in-home care to stave off

going into nursing home as long as possible.

This way the one at home doesn't lose the home and assets.

I'm sure I'll be told if what i said isn't apple pie order, but, that's the highlights as I remember them. Can't remember if that in home care of 200 is a month or how many times care givers have to come out,etc.

@patofl

Read your policy carefully. Our policy specifically states it only pays if you have been in the hospital at least 3 days first. Our PCP is aware of this and said not to worry , if one of us needs to use it, he'll put us in the hospital under some excuse like adjusting our meds.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, I need to do a refresher course .

We have Medicare Part B and Part F supplement from Mutual of Omaha to pick up the other 20% that Medicare doesn't pay.

We mainly worry about going into nursing home and having the long term care to pick up the bills, so, the other one at home can keep the house and monetary assets. Not have to do a spend down.

It's all so complicated. I hope we get treated better . I've heard so many horror tales about nursing home care and how they can only tend to you as much as insurance tells them to do. It's all dictated to the nurses. I don't want to be a victim of elder abuse, etc.  My mother in law was in there and they would only give her 2 baths a week, etc. They had so many patients and not enough time and staff, etc. I want to go into a better quality place.

Honored Contributor

Just got mine today.  Haven't opened it yet.  It will be a surprise for me this evening.

Now here's hoping we don't have a government shut down.  If we do, I will probably have to take out of my savings that I have worked so hard to build up.  Was saving that for a rainy day.....and a shut down is not a rainy day.  I was thinking along the lines of any repairs I might need on my 21 year old car.  

Esteemed Contributor

You can get a letter on ssa.gov. You need to sign up for an account and just print your letter from the site. That is how I got my letter about the increase. It is so easy to use their website.

Respected Contributor

@ShowMe wrote:

Just got mine today.  Haven't opened it yet.  It will be a surprise for me this evening.

Now here's hoping we don't have a government shut down.  If we do, I will probably have to take out of my savings that I have worked so hard to build up.  Was saving that for a rainy day.....and a shut down is not a rainy day.  I was thinking along the lines of any repairs I might need on my 21 year old car.  

@ShowMe, SS payments still are still made on time even if the government shuts down. You will get your SS payment when you expect it.  Please don't worry about that.

Honored Contributor

@nomless.....Oh how I hope and pray you are right.  Thanks for letting me know this.