Esteemed Contributor

This is my second year receiving Survivors Benefit and my letter says I am getting a $38 increase. I will gladly take it.

Honored Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

i believe my raise was $5.00, most went to Medicare increase.

only went up 1.50

and the increase is 2.8% not 2.7% I'm holding my proof in my hands it's also been reported in here before and I'm sure it's online.

Last yr Medicare premium went from 124 to 134.

I 'm thinking we all pay the same, but, depending on your financial situation maybe it's adjusted for income, etc.

Honored Contributor

Social Security benefits will increase 2.8 percent in 2019, the largest cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) in seven years. The COLA, announced Thursday, Oct. 11, will increase the average Social Securityretirement benefit by $39 a month or roughly $468 a year.

Respected Contributor

We all paid a lot into social security, so we are simply getting some of our own money back. Still, it was never meant to live on. A raise? Just be glad if social security isn’t cut. I’ve written this before on one of these boards that when my husband and I got married in the 70s, we looked ahead at economics and demographics trends and simply assumed that there would be no Social Security by the time we retired, despite what we knew we would be paying into it. We both had long careers and saved and invested because of that assumption. 

Honored Contributor

We did too. Most people don't think ahead and make bad decisions and come time for old age they just have SS to live on. From what I gather sometime in the future they will cut it back to 70% benefit think that's what I read.  That's yrs from now I'll be dead by then and won't care.

Glad we qualified for long term care insurance only one company offering that now too as I understand it.   I've seen bumper stickers on young people's cars wanting "medicare for all".   We paid 1,000 a month for insurance before we turned 65 and could get on it. Some just want to take a short cut and think it's their due.

Honored Contributor

Why?  I have friends who receive SSA and they tell me the raise is a percentage.  2.5% I believe.  I thought the increase was for everyone who receives SSA benefits.

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree, I think everyone gets it but most people dont see it because it goes towards Medicare.. It is 2.8% for 2019.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@chrystaltree, I think everyone gets it but most people dont see it because it goes towards Medicare.. It is 2.8% for 2019.

I thought there was no Medicare premium increase this year or so they said.   That's why my friends were happy about the 2.8%.  But they could be wrong about that.

Regular Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Peaches McPhee...I thought everyone receiving a ss check got the same increase....wonder what qualifies a person for the increase?

She just admitted she got the same raise as all of us but doesn't consider it a raise because her medicare went up.

Esteemed Contributor

I think the Medicare Premium was increased by 1.50, but I could be wrong/