Honored Contributor

Re: SO TELL US, WERE YOU A HOMECOMING QUEEN, CHEERLEADER, MAJORETTE???

When I was little my Mom signed me up for dance school, & I hated it, but they also offered twirling so my Mom let me switch to that. When I got to high school and could twirl a baton I was asked to be a majorette. Not because I was super popular like the other majorettes - but because they needed at least one majorette who could actually twirl a baton. I did love it though. I got to hang out with kids I would not have otherwise been with and I dated a popular football player, who I'm now married to. I loved everything about HS - well, not the school part, but what are you gonna do? Whenever my nieces or friends daughters were going into HS I would always tell them what a great time they were going to have. I also had a good job after school working in my family's bakery, and, of course, I could always get a day off when I needed to for a parade or football game etc because it was my family's business, so that was perfect for me. I imagine the other girls who worked there probably thought I was the spoiled brat.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

Yes

No

No

Ding, Ding, Ding, @GenXmuse  If I read through these posts correctly, you are the first homecoming queen!!!!  Congratulations! 

We would all love to see a pic, but can understand if you aren't so inclined.  Do you still have your crown?

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

No, but I participated in the Girls Athletic Association after school.  I played softball, basketball, tennis, and some track.

I was also one of the VERY few girls who didn't mind having swimming as a first period class.

The way I remember  my high school years, you had to be a member of a certain clique to be considered for homecoming queen/cheerleader.  While I was friendly with these girls during school hours, and occasionally invited to lunch, I was never a part of their group.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

Yes

No

No

Ding, Ding, Ding, @GenXmuse  If I read through these posts correctly, you are the first homecoming queen!!!!  Congratulations! 

We would all love to see a pic, but can understand if you aren't so inclined.  Do you still have your crown

lol. It's packed away somewhere. The weird thing is I didn't know I had been nominated until they called me onto the football field.  I was wearing sweatpants. Classy!

Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

I went to high school in Canada and we did not have cheerleaders or prom queens.I was a very shy and nervous geeky girl who kept my head turned when I passed by people for fear that they might feel they had to acknowledge me and would prefer not to do so.I didn't find out until a few yearsafter graduation(which I didn't attend) that I was one of the most talked about girls.The guy voted me the most beautiful but stuck up girl in school.I worked with a few of them after high school and they told me that I had become a much nicer person.so my answer to the questions would be never even if there was the opportunity.

@dex  Shyness is often mistaken for snobbery.  Your case sounds severe.  What a shame since you were (are) beautiful.  Too bad you didn't know it or that no one ever told you at an early age. 

Super Contributor

Oh My - my dream was to be a cheerleader but there were two big issues - I was not well coordinated and I was not particularly popular (sort of in the "second tier" of popularity)

My only claim to fame was winning a pageant in our hometown and placing second in the state pageant...

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

When I was little my Mom signed me up for dance school, & I hated it, but they also offered twirling so my Mom let me switch to that. When I got to high school and could twirl a baton I was asked to be a majorette. Not because I was super popular like the other majorettes - but because they needed at least one majorette who could actually twirl a baton. I did love it though. I got to hang out with kids I would not have otherwise been with and I dated a popular football player, who I'm now married to. I loved everything about HS - well, not the school part, but what are you gonna do? Whenever my nieces or friends daughters were going into HS I would always tell them what a great time they were going to have. I also had a good job after school working in my family's bakery, and, of course, I could always get a day off when I needed to for a parade or football game etc because it was my family's business, so that was perfect for me. I imagine the other girls who worked there probably thought I was the spoiled brat.

I always love it when you recount a little bit of your past @151949. ......the family dinners, going to Woodstock, etc.  I was a little surprised when you said you are now married to a popular football player that you dated in High School.  I am sure there is a story there............?...............Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Caligurll wrote:

No, but I participated in the Girls Athletic Association after school.  I played softball, basketball, tennis, and some track.

I was also one of the VERY few girls who didn't mind having swimming as a first period class.

The way I remember  my high school years, you had to be a member of a certain clique to be considered for homecoming queen/cheerleader.  While I was friendly with these girls during school hours, and occasionally invited to lunch, I was never a part of their group.

I had to smile about your comment about first hour swim class........so did you have short hair, a pony tail, .....why didn't it bother you?  I had it one semester and I hated it.  I had long hair and did not like walking around with wet hair. Maybe you were more into the sport of swimming than I was.  Don't get me wrong, I loved to swim and passed the life saving course from the Red Cross, but I didn't like starting out the day with a wet head LOL. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

Yes

No

No

We would all love to see a pic, but can understand if you aren't so inclined.  Do you still have your crown

lol. It's packed away somewhere. The weird thing is I didn't know I had been nominated until they called me onto the football field.  I was wearing sweatpants. Classy!

Now, that hardly seems fair!  So I take it, no great pics Smiley Sad !

Esteemed Contributor

@Sunnyfield wrote:

Oh My - my dream was to be a cheerleader but there were two big issues - I was not well coordinated and I was not particularly popular (sort of in the "second tier" of popularity)

My only claim to fame was winning a pageant in our hometown and placing second in the state pageant...

@Sunnyfield  That sounds even better!!