Trusted Contributor

@Spurt 

Alarm is two years old, hard wired with back up battery.  Unit has 5 year warranty.  DH has been on hold forever with the company, and is about to hang up.  Patience is not one of his virtues! Lol

He did put in a new battery and cleaned the contacts etc, and it's still acting up, that's why he thinks the unit has gone bad.  

At least if it was going to go bad, it could have waited till middle of the day, and not at 2a.m. !  Murphy's Law! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Rude Awakening

[ Edited ]

@Pezzie  I've had two nuisance alarms in the last two weeks - both in the afternoon, thankfully - and I think it was due to humidity in the house.  I have central air but hardly use it, as I worry about the electric bill.  This stretch of hot and humid weather in southeast PA is unprecedented, in my memory at least.  I hope August brings cooler and dryer air.

ETA: My smoke detectors are also hard-wired with battery backup.  The batteries are just under a year old, so I will replace them, though I don't think that's what the problem is.  Kidde's website does say that humidity can cause a fales alarm.  Great ...

Honored Contributor

i really do hate the hardwired smoke detectors.

we had some installed in an addition that we added onto our home.

i have since removed them and just put in battery operated devices.

they are so much easier to take care of and i just dispose of them when they get too old.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Pezzie wrote:

@Spurt 

Alarm is two years old, hard wired with back up battery.  Unit has 5 year warranty.  DH has been on hold forever with the company, and is about to hang up.  Patience is not one of his virtues! Lol

He did put in a new battery and cleaned the contacts etc, and it's still acting up, that's why he thinks the unit has gone bad.  

At least if it was going to go bad, it could have waited till middle of the day, and not at 2a.m. !  Murphy's Law! 

@Pezzie 

Hi,

Well I wish you luck with your husband getting through to talk to someone.  I have both hard wired and strictly battery smoke detectors....  I didnt even realize the hard wired one also had a battery until it began CHIRPING in the middle of the night---LOL!!!  My cousin, an electrician, helped me out with that....Woman LOL

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Ours sounds the alarm and also says fire (very loudly).  So you didn't have the alarm go off also?

Honored Contributor

That would scare you on two levels! The fact there might be a fire, and the voice you never knew existed. I never heard that fire alarms had voice warning. Kind of creepy, but I guess if it works to get people awake, it's not a bad thing. I would have gone crazy thinking someone was in the house!

Hope your heart rate has settled!

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Pezzie 

So glad it was a false alarm, maybe check the batteries in the unit, ours starts 'chirping' when the batteries are low.

And enjoy your nap!

@KingstonsMom 

I have a CO2 detector that started chirping, and so I replaced the batteries with fresh ones.   Well, it's still chirping, and tried a few things, including another set of batteries.   lt's still  chirping when put back in.    

I have no idea what to do next.  Woman Frustrated

Regular Contributor

That has happened to me too and my smoke detectors are hard wired into the electrical of the house.  Batteries are only in it for a backup.  That happened to me a few times, so I had one of them replaced.  I can say that does suck, so I feel for you and your bad night.

Honored Contributor

Wow, my fingernails would still be in the ceiling and a fireman would have had to coax me down. 

So sorry that happened!  Glad it's getting resolved.  It must be in the air.  We had two false alarms this morning at work.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I have a CO2 detector that started chirping, and so I replaced the batteries with fresh ones.   Well, it's still chirping, and tried a few things, including another set of batteries.   lt's still  chirping when put back in.    

I have no idea what to do next.  Woman Frustrated

Mine did that and then I realized they were about 7 years and that is about when they die forever.  

If you take them down there should be a date on the back.

I have 4 of those little devils to order now.  Amazon here I come.