Trusted Contributor

I had a hard time dropping off last night, but eventually did sometime around 1, only to be jerked awake around 2, hearing this voice saying FIRE, FIRE! and then nothing!   WTH!  Didn't even know the smoke alarm had audio capabilities.

DH and I stumbled out of bed, adrenaline pumping, sniffing to see if we could smell anything burning, and walked around doing a thorough investigation.  Nothing.  Then we noticed that the smoke alarm in the guest room was flashing red.  DH checked it this morning and he believes the unit has gone bad.  

Needless to say, we were both so wound up we  never went back to sleep.  I feel a nap is in order!

Honored Contributor

@Pezzie 

So glad it was a false alarm, maybe check the batteries in the unit, ours starts 'chirping' when the batteries are low.

And enjoy your nap!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

WOW!! That's scary. I keep trying to remember to change all my alarms' batteries 2x a year when we change time in the spring and fall.

Hopw you get a good sleep tonight!

-Solar1

Honored Contributor

Re: Rude Awakening

[ Edited ]

@Pezzie wrote:

I had a hard time dropping off last night, but eventually did sometime around 1, only to be jerked awake around 2, hearing this voice saying FIRE, FIRE! and then nothing!   WTH!  Didn't even know the smoke alarm had audio capabilities.

DH and I stumbled out of bed, adrenaline pumping, sniffing to see if we could smell anything burning, and walked around doing a thorough investigation.  Nothing.  Then we noticed that the smoke alarm in the guest room was flashing red.  DH checked it this morning and he believes the unit has gone bad.  

Needless to say, we were both so wound up we  never went back to sleep.  I feel a nap is in order!

@Pezzie 

Sorry you went through that ...what a scary experience....

Is it an older wired in alarm, or strictly battery operated??????  If its wired Id have an electrician check it out there could be a short in the wiring....Or it could be the following:

If the alarm goes off and no smoke is present, the cause may be one of the following: There may be insufficient battery power, try new batteries. Problems with the sensors. Problems with voltage or insufficient electrical power, or a buildup of dust could also be a cause.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Pezzie   I didn't know ours had a disembodied voice either until it happened while we were watching TV.

It sure gets you moving.  It was nothing and I have no idea of why it went off.

Respected Contributor

That must have been terrifying!

We got a call in the middle of the night last week. Never a good thing.

Turned out to be a robo call. It took a long time for the heart pounding to stop.

Esteemed Contributor

😲 I'm so happy there was no actual fire, and have a feeling those batteries are being replaced ASAP!😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

That was the first thing DH did, was put in new battery, and it is still wonky.

Going to buy another unit today - after a nap!

Esteemed Contributor

@Pezzie  Thankfully, everything is ok.  I cannot imagine waking up to that.  Spend time today just relaxing.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

@hennypenny 

Calls in the middle of the night is never good.

Glad yours was just a robo call !