Honored Contributor

Re: Rounding up your total at the cash register

@kivah wrote:

99% of the time, the money NEVER gets to the intended charity. Best to give directly - but it's also necessary to check out charities on-line as many are SCAMMERS or very little money goes to the charity.When ur dealing with CASH --- think about it. I don't like anyone asking for change when I'm in a store purchasing something. Walmart started doing that a few years ago - and I told them off.

Do you have some documenation for this outlandish statement? 

I'm not talking about those containers at the gas station, sitting on the counter for people to donate to some unknown or obscure 'charity', and at risk for people stealing it from sitting out in plain sight.

I'm talking about legitimate large corporations who's cash registers are recording the donations given, and are presenting these donations to documented food pantries, with media coverage and disclosure of the hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars annually. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Rounding up your total at the cash register

[ Edited ]

I haven't been asked yet in precisely the OP's scenario, but I do patronize a chain restaurant that does the "round up" thing and I'm happy to do it. Sheesh, it's less than a dollar at the least.

I'm not as cheerfully giving to the continuous major charity requests at the supermarket - a new one every week now! I occasionally donate one of the $5 "cards" to a local food bank or buy a couple of bags of pre-filled groceries for holiday drives. But all of the various medical/health charities, no. Maybe one in 5-6 I might give to. When the donations become a constant, it puts me off.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Doesn't bother me but I say no as I do local charities only, but I can't imagine how redundant it must be for the checkers to have to ask everyone and and get berated by the offended.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*