Honored Contributor

Rounding up your total at the cash register

I'm guessing this isn't only in my area, but so many places now are asking at the checkout if I want to round up my purchase to the nearest dollar, in order to give that change to charity. 

At the grocery store, it is used for local food pantry, and today, at Goodwill, it was for a local charity that helps vets, and the homeless.

I know some are irritated by this, but I'm really glad stores are doing this. It gives me (and everyone else)  the chance to give a little that when combined with all the others, becomes a lot.

Anyone can decline, and nothing wrong with that, but it is a very painless way for us to contribute a little more throughout the year, and never even miss the money. When I figure that my donation at any given point is less than a dollar each time, but adds up to so much more when others contribute as well, I'm just glad businesses are now doing this. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rounding up your total at the cash register

@Mominohio wrote:

I'm guessing this isn't only in my area, but so many places now are asking at the checkout if I want to round up my purchase to the nearest dollar, in order to give that change to charity. 

At the grocery store, it is used for local food pantry, and today, at Goodwill, it was for a local charity that helps vets, and the homeless.

I know some are irritated by this, but I'm really glad stores are doing this. It gives me (and everyone else)  the chance to give a little that when combined with all the others, becomes a lot.

Anyone can decline, and nothing wrong with that, but it is a very painless way for us to contribute a little more throughout the year, and never even miss the money. When I figure that my donation at any given point is less than a dollar each time, but adds up to so much more when others contribute as well, I'm just glad businesses are now doing this. 

I agree, I like this idea and it is easy not to do it if you don't wish too. It is great for people who give frequently or infrequently to charity because it is so easy to do, most don't even miss it and it really does make a difference. Our food banks are really looking for turkeys more than previous years too.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Trusted Contributor

Hi Mom.   I'm not 100% sure I agree with you.   I personally prefer giving to the charities of my choice and do not like feeling pressured into giving every time I check out somewhere.    I know it's a dollar here and a dollar there but again let me make that choice and not feel like a slug if I say no..    

Honored Contributor

The issue I have.. is the change actually going to the charity?

Honored Contributor

I  always refuse at the checkout....we give to local charities and community projects thru our business and it is often that we are asked to donate......it seems as if it is never ending.  Most people assume that if you are in business you have money, ha, ha! 

Esteemed Contributor

I always tell them to round up. Sometimes it's less than a dime, but then I don't have change rattling around in my change pocket. The one "ask" that I get tired of is also at the checkout, "Do you want to support XYZ charity and put your name on an (ornament) (butterfly) (balloon)?" I always donate a dollar the first time, decline to put my name on anything, and then the next hundred times I say, "Not today, I already donated."

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Trusted Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

The issue I have.. is the change actually going to the charity?

Yes! How much of it really goes to the charity?.. I would rather pick a charity you know  does not skim off the top. Write a check and give it to them.

Esteemed Contributor

Depends on the charity and if it's local.  I have found many times that the clerk has no idea what charity or if they do know, they don't know if it stays local.  I discovered many times what we donate in No Cal is sent down to the LA area's homeless...and believe me, we have plenty of homeless here who could use the $.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Agree with missy1.  I only give directly to a charity and never via individuals (supposedly) representing organizations or retail stores.

Respected Contributor

It doesn't bother me a couple of times a year when Publix or Walgreens does March of Dimes or another major charity. I trust that they are actually going to the charity. Well, I trust Publix anyway, lol. 

I don't care for the others that seem to have something going for all sorts of causes. Number one, it slows down check out. Number two, it seems to "shame" people into donating when others are behind you in line. Number three, as others mentioned, is it really getting to the charity?  I always decline.