Honored Contributor

Loving the new Poldark, may have to revisit the older version........

Honored Contributor

The author, Winston Graham, was very unhappy with how  Delmyza (?) was portrayed as a loose woman in the original version.  He wanted to stop production of the series apparently.  His daughter says he would have been happy with the current version.

I have the original on hold at the library and a hold on the first of the Poldark booksCat Happy  Obsessive, much??

Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

Aidan Turner from Ireland, he sure is gorgeous.

He is. I watched him in Being Human (the BBC original version) and in the Hobbit movies. He and his Dwarf brother, played by the also very handsome Dean O'Gorman were my phone wallpaper for a long time. I lost my phone at the grocery store once and when I went to claim it in lost and found, they asked me what was on the lock screen to verify it was my phone. Dwarves. Super hot dwarves.

Still of Dean O'Gorman and Aidan Turner in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) 

Valued Contributor

I think Aiden Turner is gorgeous!  During the first episode of Poldark I kept wondering "where have i seen him before?" so I went to wikipedia and he starred in the original BBC production of Being Human.  That was a good show.

Regular Contributor

Can't wait for Sunday. The show is very good and Ross -well what can we say except OMG those eyes are so haunting and the scar I had better stomy heart is pounding. It is a good show for the summer and makes the waiting  for Downton Abbey to return a little easier. Hope Masterpiece Theatre produces more of these shows.

Honored Contributor

Is the book a series?

Honored Contributor

Yes, Sydney.  There are several Poldark novels.  The first one is called Ross.  The second is named for his wife.  Then it looks like the next novels might be named for their children.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Ross Poldark

[ Edited ]

Preferred  Demelza and Poldark from the old series.  Robin Ellis as Poldark was not as handsome as the new character but  ,very realistic...a man's man so to speak. Robin very tall and Demelza's character was a tiny , personable little lady, perfect for the determined little lady she portrayed. That said, am also enjoying this new series but it is hard  for me not to compare the characters..

Honored Contributor

Robin Ellis has a audio book on Amazon about the making of Poldark. Its not expensive a bit over $5, It seems so many of the original cast met with untimely deaths. It is about 2 hrs long and I think worth the money. Robin Ellis narrates it

Honored Contributor
I'm repeating myself -- lol -- but the author was not at all happy with how Delmyza was portrayed in the first series. He wanted to stop the production because of that.