Respected Contributor

Rookie police officer in Flagstaff, AZ killed during domestic violence call

I am in AZ right now, and I lived in Flagstaff, so this hits close to home. Tyler Stewart, 24, who had been on the force less than a year, was shot and died this afternoon at Flagstaff Medical Center from his wounds. He was investigating a domestic violence call and looking for the shooter, when the 28 year old shooter fired several shots, hitting Officer Stewart. The shooter then turned the gun on himself and killed himself. Officer Stewart is only the second officer in Flagstaff to be killed in the line of duty. Very sad in Flagstaff, Arizona tonight. http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/arizona-police-officer-suspect-killed-shootout-27854819
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Trusted Contributor

Re: Rookie police officer in Flagstaff, AZ killed during domestic violence call

I live in the Phx area and heard this story earlier. It's very sad. He was so young. Those domestic calls are so hard to judge sometimes. The guy was obviously a troubled man.

Esteemed Contributor

How awful. It just saddens me no end when I hear of stories like this. Domestic disturbance calls are very dangerous because the abuser in some cases is mentally deranged. Tyler Stewart rest in peace.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Oh, no Smiley Sad I've always heard domestic violence cases are the most dangerous for responding police. Very sad.
A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Frequent Contributor

On 12/28/2014 NoelSeven said: Oh, no Smiley Sad I've always heard domestic violence cases are the most dangerous for responding police. Very sad.

Yes, it is true. My Dad was a police officer and he always said domestic calls were

the worst. Most of them were also repeat offenders.

Very sad.

Respected Contributor

Yes, it's very sad. Flagstaff is a beautiful small mountain city in northern AZ. The only other officer killed while on duty was back in 2000. I was living there then. A 30 year old officer stopped a teen driver and was shot.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

A long time ago, I read that "domestic violence" calls are the police officers' nightmare because they can end up like this one did. This is very sad.

Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunate. The officer didn't deserve to be killed because folks don't know how to behave.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

DH once answered a domestic violence call in a 3 story apt. Bldg. only to be greeted with a pot of boiling water thrown on him burning his arm. I am currently in the S.E. Valley but have not seen the news. Officers get shot quite often here in As. There was shots fired in Chicago Ridge Mall last night. A fairly nice suburb in Chicago getting infested with punk gang bangers. Sad that law enforcement has their hands tied.
Honored Contributor

This is so sad on so many levels. Even the comparison of the NY police deaths versus Mr. Stewart's death is disheartening. Funny how the public gets caught up w/ the pomp & circumstance for one situation & nary a peep w/ another. The death is a death.