Super Contributor

Has anyone tried Rogaine for thinning hair?  I used to have super thick hair but have had a lot of thinning over the past few years.  I lose a lot of hair when I wash it.  My hormone levels are normal and my dermatologist said it's a common part of aging (I'm 67)and suggested trying Rogaine.   It's quite expensive and wonder if any of you ladies have tried it.  I've tried Biotin supplements but don't see much difference.  Any helpful hints?  Reva

Esteemed Contributor

@Reva wrote:

Has anyone tried Rogaine for thinning hair?  I used to have super thick hair but have had a lot of thinning over the past few years.  I lose a lot of hair when I wash it.  My hormone levels are normal and my dermatologist said it's a common part of aging (I'm 67)and suggested trying Rogaine.   It's quite expensive and wonder if any of you ladies have tried it.  I've tried Biotin supplements but don't see much difference.  Any helpful hints?  Reva

Hi @Reva  .. I used  Rogaine religiously for months.  It did absolutely nothing for me. 

Super Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@Reva wrote:

Hi @Reva  .. I used  Rogaine religiously for months.  It did absolutely nothing for me. 

Thanks for the super quick reply Boehm Collector!  

Honored Contributor

I had hair loss problems all my life. I've tried everything, including some Rx stuff, to get it to grow back only to find it keeps thinning. Rogaine did nothing for me and neither did biotin which I took for years and that only made my hair stiff and brittle. I do take some other supplements which I find help maintain follicular health but biotin is not one of them.

Most age-related hair loss is the result of hair follicles becoming smaller...that's called follicular miniaturization...you can google that and read more about it. Rogaine helps to increase the size of follicles which may lead to thicker hair. That didn't work in my case. What has worked for me is a hair laser. At the present time I'm using the CapillusPro cap and also the Hairmax-9 comb. A hair laser is the only thing I have ever found to stop my hair from thinning. Everything else did not work for me.

Honored Contributor

I've read some articles about the effects of sunlight on hair follicles and it's not good. What they found is that UV light from the sun can cause follicles to prematurely go into the shedding phase of the hair-growth cycle for some people. What that means is your hair will thin over time. So if you spend time out in the sun then wear a hat. 

Respected Contributor

I have used Rogaine for the last 25 years, every night...not wanting to lose hair like my mom did.  I'm in my 60's and have been told by my hairstylist that I have thin hair but a lot of it !  I will continue to use it.

Honored Contributor

@Reva 

Rogaine only works for what was called "male pattern baldness," now female pattern baldness.  It does not work on other hair loss conditions.

A neighbor of mine was diagnosed by biopsy with FPB two years ago.  She lost a lot of hair in the areas where men lose it.  Along her forehead, top, and half way down the back of her head. I saw her scalp showing through her thin hair.  Rogaine worked miraculously on her.  Can't see her scalp anymore.  

Her hair continued to fall out pretty badly for two months after she started using it.  Then the hair loss stopped and she began seeing spotty hair growth around three months.  It began filling in all over her scalp.  I was amazed at the difference after about 8 months.

She uses Walmart's generic brand minoxidil priced much lower than Rogaine.  I think she said around $18 for a 3 month supply.  

You don't want to wait too long because much older hair loss does not return.  

Respected Contributor

I started using it the end of February last year.  My hair used to be really thick...still is in the back...but along my forehead I was seeing scalp as I got older.  

The lady who cut my hair said several of her clients were told by their doctors to use men's strength Rogaine....and they had noticeable results.  I got some and have used it morning and night just on that thinning patch very faithfully.

I didn't notice anything for about 6 months...then she told me she saw"baby hairs" coming out.  

Now it's been  almost a year, and I can see the difference...not huge, but an improvement.  I now use the generic version from Walmart.  I continue to use the "men's strength" rather than what is advertised for women.

Valued Contributor

I used a brand of this and it did make my hair grow some.  However, you need to continue to use it or the results are all lost.  For me, I got sick around that time and I thought that the minoxidil in the product may have contributed to my illness.  So, I never used it again and I am really OK with just a little thnning here and there.

Honored Contributor

My sister said it made her scalp itch & oily.

I never tried it after she told me that plus I'm not going to use it til I'm dead so why start. LOL!!!