They are everywhere 

Esteemed Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia

They are everywhere    They can eat thru concrete 

Esteemed Contributor

@Lapdog. Oh dear. That would unnerve me

Esteemed Contributor

Fiero Woman wrote:

Loving the pictures of the squirrels.  Reminds me of my rescues that have been released.  However, I do have two pet flying squirrels that are in a huge cage in my house.  They are wonderful, so much fun to watch and very social.

@Fiero Woman...Oh No!...I've never known anyone who has had pet squirrels in their home, so I have to ask...do you let them out of the cage so that they can run and play?....I hate to think of anything being caged up.

Please don't take this as a criticism....just curious and interested after seeing your post.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Respected Contributor

We caught one mouse last night.  We put his weakness hersheys dark chocolate kiss in the trap.  I heard peanut butter, cheese etc. but dark chocolate was his undoing. 

Esteemed Contributor

@chiclet

Glad you got him!

Every now & then we have this problem.

I had chocolate eggs that my DD had given me in a bird's nest (with a porcelain bird). I kept thinking my grandson was eating the eggs!

Then one night when I knew my grandson hadn't been around, another egg was gone! Then another!

We set the trap, baited with PB - putting it next to the refrigerator, because back there, there is also a hole in the wall going to the garage.

Of course DH wouldn't think of plugging that hole! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

I worked for the Federal government in DC. Although everyone knows vermin are a problem there, I didn’t have any firsthand knowledge of them until a mouse ran across my foot while I was sitting at my desk meeting with a coworker. We both screamed and some of the men in the office ran over to see what was wrong (I can laugh about it now). It turned out that someone had left a bag of Hershey’s kisses in a nearby cubicle and the mice were going to town on them. Also, an executive in the office above mine was leaving plates of cookies open on a table in his office - again, mouse picnic. Seriously, what were they thinking??? The mice were using the pipes between floors to go from the cookies, through my office to the Hershey’s kisses. Anyway, Building Services put glue traps in my office to catch them. This was effective, but I had to watch the traps so they could remove the cadavers before they started to smell. I agree with those who recommended that you get a cat. They’re effective and they dispose of the remains. 

@Eileen in Virginia  I worked in the same area in one of those high rises in Crystal City right on the DC line - last building on Route 1 before you went over the 14th street bridge.  We'd find traces of mice droppings and the pest ppl used those glue traps as well.  One day I could hear a sound and it'd caught a mouse whose front legs were in the glue and the back two were scraping the floor moving the gluepot around. 

OMG, those things are more inhumane than a mousetrap cuz I'd read that they get trapped and basically scrape and claw to get loose and end up having their little hearts give out.  

BUT having said that, I'll take a mouse any ole day over the RAT problem in DC these days.  They say it's getting better but they showed last year and the year before that while filming outdoor stories you could literally SEE them scurrying around (many) in the background!   YUK!!!

Honored Contributor

DH once attached a wood burner to our furnace.  One day the basement filled with flies, thousands of them.  Turns out a squirrel had gotten into the insulated lining of that wood burner and died.  It took a few days to figure it out.  Guess what?  No more wood burner in my house, ever. 

Honored Contributor

we pay a pest control company to come out once a month and spray outside of our home AND he sets bait traps inside of our home where there are problem areas (mostly in the basement and garage.) this time of the year we tend to have more problems, but having that service is a great thing.

it is approximately $50 a month.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Well we caught another one.  I changed my sheets yesterday and got up this morning and saw what looked like a couple of dark sunflower seeds.  I saw it on the carpet and realized it was mice poop in my bed.  Omg almost lost it.  I want to move.  We tried to call pest control but with the holiday most could not come soon  After vacuuming every inch and cleaning etc. went to get more traps and mice poisoning.  This is the first time in my life I have ever had anything like this.  My husband said we could go stay in a hotel until we could get pest control but that would be quite expensive.