Respected Contributor

We have an open candy dish with hersheys dark chocolate kisses.  My husband noticed purple crumbled foil arond the cabinet the candy dish is on.  He pulled out the cabinet and it was full of empty hershey kisses wrappers.  Then I went into my purse and saw more shredded fold wrappers for the kisses since I had a few in my purse.  Also the kisses were in the cabinet in zip lock bag and they got into those.  Seems all they want is herscheys dark chocolate.  I am ready to pack up and move.  We bought some traps and rat killer.  I am so grossed out that a rodent was in my purse. 

Trusted Contributor

@chiclet ACKKK! I know the joys of rural living and am surprised I havent had any li furry visitations yet LOL. A friend had them and she used peppermind soaked cotton balls to drive them away!

Do you have pets? Years ago we had dog food bag in laundry room and noticed an odor. The mice had eaten the dog food and dragged kibble into the insulation of water heater!!! Ughhh had to replace water heater and all.

Those crafty mice will get into anything and squeeze into small spaces. Even if you move will be same. Just look up (google) natural deterrents for mice. Hugs xxxxxxxxxx Stormy

Respected Contributor

Your post leaves me with such mixed feelings.  I guess I wouldn't like that to happen to me either.  Honestly though, we live in a housing development that was formerly farm lands.  I see deer, bear, possum, rabbits, raccoons, chipmunks, squirrels  and skunks.  They get hit by cars.  They get killed by neighbors with guns.  They get poisoned.  It makes me very sad.  I keep telling my husband:  "They were here FIRST.  We are taking their territory.:.

Honored Contributor

Get a cat, if they don't catch the mice they will certainly let you know one is in the house. I had a very prissy female cat who knocked a bat out of the air and killed it in our house. My male cat will try to bring the mice he gets outside into the house so he can finish the job. LOL It's really best to find out where the mice are entering your home and seal that up.

Trusted Contributor

@maximillian so true....so true. Is like the Indian Removal Act but this time is critters who have always lived in a territory but now find themselves displaced. aka Critter Removal Act. Human encroachment makes me sad as I keep most of my 11 acres natural habitat. I am sure some day they will plow it down and make a Walmart here. Sigh.

Respected Contributor

@chiclet  That is kind of creepy.  I've had mice in my basement that I used to catch with traps (never got upstairs).  Since I got my newest cat (Al), no more mice problems.  He LOVES them.  He'll wait for them for hours, then.....gotcha!  With all that chocolate, the mice must be getting pretty fat.  Maybe you should get a cat, or I could send Al over for a couple days.  In the meantime, if you have any metal containers, that's the only way I know to keep them out.......they can smell food a mile away!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Rodents are everywhere and now that it’s getting colder, they are coming inside.

Your rodent has good taste.  Dark chocolate is the best.  You might want to keep everything in containers that are chew proof and look to see how that could be getting in

often, it’s a very, vary small opening at the house base or where wire or plumbing is coming in.  A can of that spray foam insulation will keep them out.

A nutty story: when I was in high school, my younger sister had a short term friendship with a girl who’s father was a doctor.  She lived in a beautiful home, had nice clothing, etc. and she was better than thou. Really spoiled and not nice in an uppity way.

This girl spent a Saturday in our home and my sister put a pizza in the oven for lunch.    Somehow a mouse was in the oven and no one knew it until this awful smell was detected.  My sister had baked the mouse along with the pizza. We had to throw the pizza and the mouse away.

My sister was so embarrassed and that “ friend” was never in our home again.

Those critters can get into everything and the most inopportune time.

Honored Contributor

@chiclet You win gross story of the week.I couldn't sleep at night wondering if they would get in my bed.You need a cat or two right away. Once when my DH and I went camping I heard scratching sounds in the tent.I woke him up to tell him and he said go to sleep it's just the wind....so I did.A few minutes later I awoke to him screaming that something ran across his face.I said in his same tone...go to sleep it's just the wind.Well we got out the falshlight and sure enough there was a mouse in the tent and later we heard others crawling around on our tent...they were looking to join us I am certain.Bought a cabin with friends after that.

Respected Contributor

Re: Rodent In The House

[ Edited ]

@dex@chiclet  ROFL!  That's a good one!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

Cats are natural predators. I like that idea.  We had a dog once, a Norwegian Elkhound, that could hear mice scratching in a wall.  I believe they were in our basement, trying to come up through the walls.  We had a beautiful tortoiseshell cat that would actually catch mice in our kitchen.  Again, they came up through the walls from the basement.  It's Mother Nature.  I know it can be a bit creepy, but it's the natural world.  I am more afraid of human beings than I am of animals. As of this point in time, animals don't mow people down with assault rifles.