Honored Contributor

🦌 Roadkill: It's What's for Dinner! 🦌

http://wtop.com/health-fitness/2017/06/oregon-joins-states-where-roadkill-can-be-harvested-for-food/...

SALEM, Ore. (AP) — A bill recently signed into law in Oregon allows drivers who crash into deer and elk on the road to harvest the animals’ meat for food.

It’s not as rare as you might think.

About 20 other states also let people take meat from animals killed by vehicles. And advocates say roadkill can be high-quality, grass-fed grub.

Washington state began allowing the salvaging of deer and elk carcasses a year ago.

In Pennsylvania, people can take deer or turkeys that are killed on the road if they report the incidents to the state Game Commission within 24 hours.

In Oregon, Gov. Kate Brown signed the roadkill measure with little fanfare last week after lawmakers passed it without a single “nay” vote.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So, are you game?Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

Re: 🦌 Roadkill: It's What's for Dinner! 🦌

If you just hit it and then immediately take it to the butcher - why not? It would help with the costs of the car repairs.Last summer we hit a deer and did not kill him - he ran off into the woods - but the damage to the car was $3000 and we have $1000 deductible we had to pay.

However, I wouldn't go picking up dead things lying on the road.

Honored Contributor

I will pass on that one.

I don't care for game meat at all, besides turkey sometimes.

Honored Contributor

Fresh venison was used in school cafeterias in a neighboring state some 50-60 years ago and the kids ate it and grew up just fine.

Honored Contributor

My dad did not hunt but my Uncles did and I grew up on fresh game. Way better for you than eating meat that was fed a bunch of hormones so it would grow bigger than normal. 

Respected Contributor

Being vegetarians, this would not affect our family.

Honored Contributor

I don't condone hunting, but if one is to purposefully kill an animal,

the death is quick, clean & very efficient.   Unfortunately, 'road kill'

can die a slow, painful death.  And all that bruising affects the

quality.  And if the animal is exposed to vehicle glass, gas, environmental

elements.  I would think even the meaty of meat people 

would go...ick. 

(Que 'Deliverance' banjos)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This topic is right up my alley!   

West Virginia is one of the states where roadkill can be harvested for food; you kill it with your vehicle, it's yours.   This has not happened to my family---yet, but should any of us hit a deer, we do plan to call the DNR officer to the scene, so that we can legally take the deer home.  He has to fill out a simple form that we sign, in order to verify there was a car vs deer accident.   

We don't like possum, wild turkey or bear meat, so we wouldn't be bringing them home, but deer, yes.  Just say you are traveling thru WV on I-77, and hit a deer, killing it, all are fine, and your vehicle is still safe to drive.   Just so happens, my husband and I are driving by, witness what happened, and we stop to make sure you are okay, and ask if you need any help.   I guarantee we are going to mention WV's roadkill law, and if you are not interested in taking the deer, we would offer to do so!  We would stay with you at the scene until the DNR officer got your signature on the form, wish you well on your journey, load that deer, and head home.  

We don't want dead deer rotting on the side of the road, drawing other wild animals towards the highway.  This is tasty, edible meat we can skin out, cut up, freeze, and enjoy for months.  You're going to be unhappy about your car, and the dead deer, but we're going to be thankful we were in the right place at the right time.   Just sayin.   

Super Contributor

Uggh. Gag
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As long as it gets butchered like it should so nobody gets sick I don't have a problem with it. The animal is dead at this point & if the person that hit it wants to eat it well that's up to them. Why let it go to waste?

I had a neighbor that hunts all the time. He had a deer in his garage hanging upside down doing what they do with them after they kill it. It made me sick. I told DH to go across the street & tell him to close his garage door because I don't want to see that.