Honored Contributor

I thought it was me!  I have bought Ritz crackers for years, but lately they have been a crumbly mess......

Honored Contributor

@Mominohiowrote:

I hadn't noticed a change, but we usually buy the 

'flavored' ones. It wouldn't surprise me though as the premium of all graham crackers, Nabisco Honey Maid now taste like gasoline or something. 

A brand new fresh box can be ok but if they are in the cabinet even a few weeks unopened, there is something almost rancid about them. I thought it was me, but I had others mention it, unsolicited by me.

With all the big brother demands on what can and can't be in the foods (what kinds of fats etc can be used), and companies trying to comply or beat deadlines, many of our favorite old products don't taste the same as they are forced to make changes. 

We had a local potato chip company that had to change fats/oils and now a company that has been in business since WW II is making a product than no one cares to buy, as they taste greasy and just like any other brand. 

The City of Philadelphia banned transfats in food. So companies had to change their recipes on certain foods. ASAP It was awful. I ate a Chips Ahoy cookie. I think a piece of cardboard would have been tastier. Never tried another one. 

Honored Contributor

@trenetwrote:

@Mominohiowrote:

I hadn't noticed a change, but we usually buy the 

'flavored' ones. It wouldn't surprise me though as the premium of all graham crackers, Nabisco Honey Maid now taste like gasoline or something. 

A brand new fresh box can be ok but if they are in the cabinet even a few weeks unopened, there is something almost rancid about them. I thought it was me, but I had others mention it, unsolicited by me.

With all the big brother demands on what can and can't be in the foods (what kinds of fats etc can be used), and companies trying to comply or beat deadlines, many of our favorite old products don't taste the same as they are forced to make changes. 

We had a local potato chip company that had to change fats/oils and now a company that has been in business since WW II is making a product than no one cares to buy, as they taste greasy and just like any other brand. 

@Mominohio@saltysails

Seems like all the Nabisco’s have changed. Haven’t had Honey Maid graham crackers or wheat thins in ages.

Changes occur not only because of governmental regulations; also companies seem to think people want these changes - perhaps when they do the marketing research, it indicates they do. Many survey questions are vague and over-generalized.  

With crackers, cookies and breads, there can be both fat and grain differences that make a Big difference in taste and texture and, their r&d departments have not been able to replicate or create satisfactory replacements. 

I agree that between being forced, and thinking consumers want 'healthier' foods, they are ruining their products. 

Here's how I see it.

People aren't stupid. They know what things in life are harmful. They choose to partake of them, be it sky diving, smoking, eating 'poorly' etc. LIst the contents, make known the issues/dangers with them, and let the customer choose. 

I have noticed that the cookie cracker aisle in the largest store we have here (a Meijer for those in the Michigan general area) is always full. Unlike other aisles that are sometimes really picked over, this aisle is always full and neat and tidy. People are shopping the cracker section when I'm there, but the prepared cookie section (which is huge) seems to always be untouched (except for the Oreos!!). 

And around here you can't chalk it all up to people choosing better eating habits. Sure a lot of that is going on, but a glance of the carts as you go down the aisles will show that not to be the case, full of soda, frozen food, boxed foods, candy. etc. 

Leads me to believe that people aren't liking the new tastes, especially at the high prices a lot of these things have. Companies may be hearing people want a healthier choice and ingredients in things like crackers and cookies, but they aren't getting the taste to what the consumer wants.

But it's like everything else, what they can't indoctrinate away, they will legislate away, and there goes yet more freedom to choose what you want (to eat in this circumstance).

Honored Contributor

Interesting thread.I only buy Ritz Crackers at Christmas so I don't remember year to year about their texture and taste. Hmmm...

Agree that so many items no longer have any taste due to the changes in how they're made (be it regulations or cheaper ingredients). I'll tell you this: the change in flavor is why I and most people I know are making more and more things from scratch, searching for locally grown produce and not eating out (the vast majority of restaurants ship in pre-made items and just reheat them and then you pay $$$$ for it). 

Even my children can taste the difference in packaged food vs home-made; store bought cookies just sit in my house so I don't bother buying them anymore. In a warped kind of way, by making stuff taste awful, they're forcing us to buy less and make it ourselves more. That's not exactly a bad thing, lol. At least we know what's IN our food when we make it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Glad i read this....i thought it might be me....i have to take

a few crackers w/meds at night and i noticed the last couple months besides being very crumbly they seemed to taste

different.....i guess it is good the trans fats have been removed healthwise.....but it doesn't help with the taste

Honored Contributor

Girl Scout cookies

the Thin Mints changed,  I think some kind of vegan thing (which is fine) but not everyone wants a vegan cookie.  

taste like ******

guess it's a good thing I won't eat a whole box now

I have not had any beef etc in years but cookies are cookies 

Respected Contributor

Re: Ritz Crackers..

[ Edited ]

I don't usually buy crackers.  Around the holidays with snacks and dips, I do.

I bought some Ritz and they were so crumbly.  You couldn't even spread anything on them without having a pile of crumbs in your hands.  

I thought that was so strange.

Respected Contributor

@saltysailswrote:

Did Ritz crackers recipe get changed?  The last few boxes I bought were awful.  

becca lou wrote : they are different to me also, they seen to crumble easy,and they split when cream cheese was spread on them. Maybe another unhealthy ingredient has been removed, alot of ingredient in things have Woman Frustrated been forced to change, making the product ruined, in my opinion. Even cream cheese taste different to me.

Respected Contributor

@hopiwrote:

.......and very crumbly.  Called the number on the box to tell them something was wrong with my purchase and they said they changed the recipe.  They sent me coupons for anything from Nabisco and got Belvita bars instead.

Becca Lou wrote : That is what we all should do when there is a product, maybe if enough people do this they will return to something more palable.Woman Indifferent

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45wrote:

i have a great pecan torte recipe that uses ritz crackers if you want to use them up. very easy, very delicious.

try keebler club crackers if you want to switch from ritz. my favorite crackers are made by pepperidge farm.

becca lou wrote: I agree Pepperidge Products are really good tasting. Smiley Happy