Respected Contributor

@frenchie   I remember Christmas cards unsealed costing less to send.  Maybe they cost only 2 or 3 cents.  Don't remember for sure.

I used to send about 40 or more cards, friends, relatives and business associates.  Our employees I just put a card in their gift.  We gave each 35 of them a gift.  Thinking now they probably would have appreciated a monetary gift in their paycheck more   We had a get together for them with a lunch and handed their gifts/cards then.  

Last year I sent 8 cards and for our kids and grands put a card with their gifts  I received 10 cards both this year and last year.

I can remember receiving many of them each year.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

The U.S. Postal Service, on Jan. 21, 2024, will raise the cost of Forever stamps from 66 cents to 68.

Merry Christmas,

glass bells

Trusted Contributor

@Teddixat wrote:

@Puppy Lips  the price of greeting cards themselves is ridiculous.    

Which is why I buy mine at the Dollar Tree @ $1.25 each, and in some cases, 2 for $1.00 Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@LavernLuvsShoes wrote:

@Teddixat wrote:

@Puppy Lips  the price of greeting cards themselves is ridiculous.    

Which is why I buy mine at the Dollar Tree @ $1.25 each, and in some cases, 2 for $1.00 Smiley Wink

Me too because most times they end up in the recycling bin or garbage.  

Respected Contributor

I am looking at the cards on the kitchen table getting ready for DH to put money/gift cards in for our kids and grands.  There are cards totaling $39 plus tax.  So, yes cards cost too much.

No wonder I only mail 8 now to some special people and that is plus the cost of postage.  Seems like it won't be long that the tradition of mailing Christmas cards will soon pass.

Honored Contributor

I mailed 65 Christmas cards and have received 46 as of today.  

Respected Contributor

@RedTop   That must be a record in these times.   Nice to see some are keeping up with the good traditions.

I remember how we used to look forward to the postman delivering Christmas Cards and we would check the mailbox right away to see to sent us cards that day.  

Valued Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@frenchie wrote:

The greeting card business is hurting already. I sent no Christmas cards at all this year, I only received two. My family will get their cards when I see them. Local mail should be less. When I was young, if you left the envelope unsealed, it cost less. I have no problem paying to send cross country, but local is rediculous. 

@frenchie Just curious.  Why would it cost less if you left the envelope unsealed?  Didn't they worry about the contents falling out?

You just tucked in the flap. There was nothing of value in there, just a greeting card.

Valued Contributor

Check out CurrentCatalog.com for great prices on all paper goods such as greeting cards, calendars and checks. I've been ordering from them for years. Order when they have free ship or near free. 

Honored Contributor

I mailed about 40 cards and I received a lot of cards this year that I had to start another basket.  

I enjoy doing them (and receiving, of course) so the price doesn't bother me.

I bought nice boxes of cards at CVS using my 30% off coupon.  

I mailed large padded envelopes to kids with their cards & checks and GD gc's & card-- I wanted to make sure they got to them.  Cost was minimal and delivery was quick🙂