Honored Contributor

Re: Returns in USPS mailboxes....?

I think this stems from the ani-terrorism laws.

Honored Contributor

I asked about putting small packages in the drop box and USPS said only mail (letters) should be dropped in there.  

Honored Contributor

If it is big, I dash in at the Post Office, just walk up to the counter where there is no clerk and an empty slot, put the package down, make eyecontact with a clerk, we smile, I say thanks and OUT the door I go!  THere is usually a stack of packages there and they know what is going on.

It it will fit, I put it in the box because I always get to know the mail carrier and know about when he will come down our street.  If I see him early and miss him, I sometimes get in the car and chase him down because I hate going to the post office.  He is a super nice guy!

Respected Contributor

I use the QVC return label.  If the envelope/package fits in my mailbox, I just put it in there.  If it's a box that won't fit, I schedule a pickup at usps.com.  It's quite easy.  Smiley Happy 

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

Well, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who hates to go to the post office! Although I'm tempted to give it to my mail carrier, I don't because  I always feel like the poor guy has enough to deal with in the rain, sleet, hail, snow, heat, cold and inconsiderate people parking to close to the mailboxes. I know just from the volume of mail I get daily he certainly has a lot to deal with! He often can't fit all my mail in my box and has to get out of his truck to leave it on the porch. The thing about it is that it's mostly junk mail!  didn't know you could schedule a pick up from the USPS. I thought that only applied to private delivery companies. Thanks for the info.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Frequent Contributor

You can go to the USPS website and advise you have a package for return.  That way, you don't have to watch for the carrier.  He or she will ring your doorbell.  You can do this for all packages, large or small.

Honored Contributor

It's hard to find the blue mailboxes anymore.  At one time they were just about everywhere.  It must be something new for safety reasons.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1  Blue mailboxes disappeared with the advent of computers and email. Letters and paying bills by check are a thing of the past in most cases. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Our local grocery store has a mailbox station.  They have post boxes, do faxes, ups, usps and some fed ex.  It is handy.  It costs some change if you use their service.  But to mail out with prepaid labels or postage affixed it is free.  So I just drop my pkgs off there.   Simple.  I hate going downtown to post office!  We are a small town and line is always out the door

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Katcat1  Blue mailboxes disappeared with the advent of computers and email. Letters and paying bills by check are a thing of the past in most cases. 

We still have plenty of mailboxes and I still mail cards/notes to some friends also mail some checks depending on what it is.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran