Honored Contributor

Returning to Work Full Time....

I'm returning to my career in banking the Monday after Thanksgiving.  It's been nice not working, but at 55, there's no reason for me not to work.  I'm looking forward to it, but at the same time, I know there's going to be the day to day stress of working full time, etc.  However, I'm very thankful to have the job!

Does anyone have any thoughts to share?  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Returning to Work Full Time....

@San Antonio Gal, I admire you for returning to work and wish you well.  I am still trying to talk myself into doing the same thing.

My advice, as someone who was out on a medical leave for months, is to take your time in whatever you are doing.  Do not let anyone rush you unless it is a life or death situation, wihich hopefully it will not be.  Make sure that you are getting enough to drink and stay hydrated.  After you have eaten lunch, go for a walk.  Make sure that you still do some type of exercise every day and get enough sleep at night.

Most important is to not let stress get in the way.  That may mean taking a few minutes to do a meditation (sounds dramatic, I know, but sometimes you just need a moment). Also, be friendly but do not tell your business.

Good luck, you will be great!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal  Don't know that I have advice.  Just want to wish you luck with the job.  Try to keep the stress level to a minimum, and enjoy the good stuff.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal@Depending how long you have been away ...expect a different attitude in the workplace.One of my friends had to retire from ER.She felt she didn’t fit in anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

I retired at 51, stayed home two years and then went to work part time for a couple of years. At 55 I went back to full time in a totally different field. I’ve been there 5 months and I absolutely love it. It’s not a stressful job and I want to work until I’m 62 if I continue in good health. Good luck and congratulations on your new job. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You'll do fine--congratulations on getting the position!

Only advice I'd give: the first time you think, "This was a mistake," put that thought away for a week or two.  It could just be a bad colleague you'll learn how to deal with, or a bad patch in the work flow.  I've learned to like quite a few positions that came with a bumpy early adjustment period.

Allow for possible bumpiness for the first six months or so.  Then you can decide.  

You'll be happy for certain when you start receiving the paycheck!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

You are starting back to work at a busy time. I bet the day will just fly by.

Sit back take a big breath and I am sure you will handle the job just fine.

It is funny, my old boss emailed me last week. She was clearing out her Mother's house and found something she thought I might be interested in. So for the first time since I retired, I stopped by work on Thursday. I was shocked when she asked me if I wanted to come back to work. Apparently the person they hired to replace me (it took 6 months to find her) is not working out as well as they hoped.

I am tempted.

Honored Contributor

I really appreciate all the kind and supportive posts.  It's great to have a place to post our thoughts and get feedback on different situations in our lives.  I thank you all for taking the time to respond.

@drizzellla- That's awesome to know your former employer wants you to come back to work!  You obviously were a valuable employee.  Please keep us posted on what you decide?  Good luck with your decision!  Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal,

Wishing you,

https://animatedimagepic.com/image/good-luck/good-luck-6707.gif

Honored Contributor

Congratulations @San Antonio GalI hope it’s exciting & challenging for you. Let us know how it goes after you get settled in.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.