Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I left quietly after 25 years....took my vacation....and just never returned. Gave my two week notice while on vacation.  I hate goodbyes.....

I did the same. 

After 25 years of service in a very stressful career in the criminal justice system I chose to give my 30 day notice privately with HR, told a few of my colleagues the week before my departure (who were horrified that they didn't have the time to plan a BIG sendoff for me), and walked out the door.  I did get many written acknowledgements from court officials commending my work when word leaked that I was leaving and I really appreciated that gesture.  I gave 110% to my job every single day and I, like you, hate goodbyes! !

Respected Contributor

Re: Retirement Send Off

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@ScarletDove 

HHS for 35 years is an accomplishment for sure!

While my experience wasn't exactly like yours, I worked for the Federal government in several agencies for almost 38 years.  My last stop was Office of Personnel Management.

The day I left I packed what few things I wanted from my office (mostly my running clothes), said goodbye to one or two people and walked out of the building.

Some folks left with great fanfare and parties (of their chosing), but it was not my way.  I just wanted to slip out of the building unnoticed.

It worked!

@Witchy Woman  Yes, many years as a public servant and I hope they worked to benefit your retirement!  I too, was more than happy to just walk out the door unnoticed!

Esteemed Contributor

@ScarletDove 

I am more than happy that I stuck it out. 

Most coming in now will never see the time you and I put in.  They leave after a few years.

Most of my bosses were political appointees, and they changed every 18 months or so.  Some great, some completely batsh*t crazy.  

Many days I wasn't sure I could manage one more wingnut in charge, but.....the rewards of a great retirement have made up for most of what happened.

I was under CSRS and happy I had not changed to the new system.

Like I said, most will never see the years of service we put in, and I cannot say I blame them.

Respected Contributor

Re: Retirement Send Off

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@ScarletDove 

I am more than happy that I stuck it out. 

Most coming in now will never see the time you and I put in.  They leave after a few years.

Most of my bosses were political appointees, and they changed every 18 months or so.  Some great, some completely batsh*t crazy.  

Many days I wasn't sure I could manage one more wingnut in charge, but.....the rewards of a great retirement have made up for most of what happened.

I was under CSRS and happy I had not changed to the new system.

Like I said, most will never see the years of service we put in, and I cannot say I blame them.

@Witchy Woman  

I benefited also, started at NIH after college in '63 CSRS. Worked about 6 yrs, resigned to stay home with kids. Returned in'84 and new FERS was being introduced. 

I changed to FERS for the TSP and during that time, was considered CSRS crossover, so was able to benefit from CSRS, FERS and SS when I retired.  Saved a very nice sum with TSP.

I too, have some interesting stories over those years since I worked at the NIMH in clinical psychiatry, pre-clinical psychiatry, psychology, neurology, etc., working with many psychiatrists, psychologists, neurologists and scientists, many of them quite strange and/or narcissistic!  A small percentage of them were normal, average people working hard to help others.

Over the years there were certain times and things I liked and certain times and things I did not like at all, but I had a goal and intentions to reach that goal, and I did.  And, depending on who was in the WH, so went things at the NIH; it was always quite political.

I received quite a good education working in the mental health field over all those years, would never have learned it  in school.  One of the most important things I took away from all those years in the mental health field, was how psychologically normal I was and thankful for that normality!

Esteemed Contributor

Reading hurt feelings and a little anger in this thread. 

Keepin' it real.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I retired 4 years ago after almost 45 years with my company. I was supposed to get a lunch from the company but that never happened. My co-workers, though, stepped up to the plate and had a nice early morning get together with coffee, juice, bagels, etc. and collected over $200.00 as a gift. To tell you the truth, I never ever expected that and was totally shocked and overwhelmed. What a great crew of friens there. I might add that we are probably the last of folks who will   pretty much stay at one place of employment their entire working days. We went from teenagers to retirement together. The union I was in gifted me with $1100.00. I was very blessed to say the least.

Respected Contributor

I worked in a small veterinary clinic so we didn't have a large staff.  My boss wanted to have a party for me at a local restaurant but I didn't want any fuss made.    I'm a somewhat private person.  

On my final day, they brought in pizza and a small cake.   My boss and his wife and the small staff just sat around in the back room and we just talked.  It was actually very nice and was exactly what I wanted.  

I told my boss that I would work for a month while he looked for my replacement and then I trained her.    I worked with her for 3 weeks and she was doing very good but on my final day, she became upset because she was having problems with the pharmaceuticals and became frightened that she couldn't handle the job.     She was in tears and apologizing because she was keeping me past closing time on my last day.  

My husband and I had plans to go out to dinner that evening.  

I assured her there was no problem and that she would do just fine.   We finally got everything settled and then my boss walked me to my car and gave me a hug.  

He told me how much he appreciated my hard work and dedication to the job and I thanked him for giving me a job and I told him I enjoyed all of my 25 years working for him. 

I then got into my car and never looked back.  I was more than ready to retire.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

We used to do big deals where I worked.  I was SOOOOO happy they didn't insist on it when I retired.  I went out with some nice people and we celebrated my 40 years, but those big parties were more often painful than anything else.  

I felt good to have ducked that!  What does it matter anyway?  I always felt my paycheck was my appreciation note!  LOL!!!

@Sooner , I could have written your post! When a teacher retired from my school, a big deal was made of it...usually an after-school dinner at a nice place, gifts were encouraged, etc. We were just small enough of a school district that everyone felt they needed to go, because how would it look if we didn’t? Well, when another teacher and I retired, we made it clear to the PTB that we were uncomfortable with something like that being thrown for us, and they actually listened!  A few of us went out to eat for a nice dinner (spouses, too), and that was it. Perfect!

Respected Contributor

I worked for the local school system for 27 years.  Several years ago a few of us retired at the end of the school year and they recognized us at the end of year luncheon at a local brew pub.  They told us to invite our families which we did.  Our fellow teachers contributed to a gift card for each of us and covered our lunch cost.  It was perfect and a nice send off.

Esteemed Contributor
My husband and I run a small company. We used to have several employees, but had to let them go due to declining business. The way things are going, we may never retire. If we do retire, I guess we will take each other out to dinner. But if I still worked for a large company (and I used to) I think I would be very hurt if my years of employment were not acknowledged when I left.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead