Honored Contributor

Re: Retired ladies - so, how is it? Will I adjust OK?

Things to do (hobbies) and places to go, and lunches with people and dinners with people are the last things on my list.  We had a constant round of that working--both of us.

It's nice to see friends occasionally but a hobby?  Stuff to do and things you SHOULD finish hanging over your head and a mess in the house?  Woman Surprised  

See?  Each of us is different and we all have different things we want and even need!  So retirement?  Make it your own just keep getting dressed and do something every day!  Get some exercise, see people, keep in touch and relax!  You earned it! 

For me, the best thing is the phone can ring and I DON'T care!!!!!  LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

I retired at 66, I'm now 72.  I had a high stress, busy position as a comptroller, a lot of deadlines, a lot of decisions and a lot of responsibility.  I was unsure about retirement.  I absolutely love it!  The freedom alone is worth it, to come and go as you please, not clocks, tomorrow is another day.  It's lovely and I do not miss it al all.  I made a life change at 50, left NYC and moved to Southwest Florida, no regrets on that choice either.  No snow, no cold, no shoveling!  The summer is hot and humid but no worse than living on Long Island.  Everything is air conditioned.

I recommend retirement especially at this stage of life and you can afford it.  These years with your husband are precious and should be enjoyed.  If you are able to travel, you have the luxury of leaving and returning whenever you wish and not have to get permission or use your vacation time and try to fit everything in a short period of time.  The days become languid and become your own.  You can clean your home whenever you want and not have to fit it into one day.  Even grocery shopping is no longer a chore, company for the holidays, no rush.  Day trips if you want, the luxury of days doing nothing and no guilt!  Dinner, the time to make something nice and delicious, no longer having to eat by 6:00, 7:30 works great, so does 3:00!  A long leisurely lunch at 1:00 can take care of dinner, too!

You will ease into your own routine, keep a positive outlook regarding retirement, consider it an adventure to be discovered and it will be fine!

Esteemed Contributor

@tarsmom wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I am aways off from retirement, so I can not comment there.  We have been in central FL for 12 years now.  This summer has been really brutal.  Personally, being from up north, I love cold weather.  If you have any notion of moving to FL, I would spend some time here in the summer before you make your decision.  Florida has a lot to offer and many people love it.  If I had my way though, we would not be here, mostly due to the weather.

I'm curious - did a job bring you there?  My son lived in Miami and my brother lives in Daytona.  I know it's hot/humid in the summer because I spent two weeks there with a girlfriend years ago.  Do you have family north?  I find people live where they live because of family.  I have no family here although I will miss my girlfriends.  I am outgoing though and hopefully will make new friends - maybe volunteer, who knows?  We are not going to FL because DH says no.  Son is in NC but I posted about that a few months ago and it's too busy there.  Maybe northern GA or SC.  I just hate winter's gray skies for months on end.  

@tarsmomMy husband and I run a small business and moved from Ohio to FL in 2007.  My husband was always traveling here to work.  He hated the cold and snow, I did not.  My sister was already in FL, so that made it easier.  When we moved, our oldest was already going to a FL college because he knew we were moving.  Our second oldest had just graduated from HS and was going to a college in Ohio.  Our youngest started in 4th grade here in FL.  Our second oldest graduated, got married, got a good job and then was downsized in a year.  So we convinced them to move to FL, much to his in-law's dismay.  So all my kids are here, for now, and as long as they are, we will stay here.

I don't hate the heat and humidiity.  You do get used to it.  But I do like the fall weather and snow, so I do miss that.  It does get cold in central FL at one point or another during the winter, but it is never cold enough or long enough to suit me, but I enjoy it as much as I can.  If I can put on long pants and be comfortable, I am a happy girl.  I will also say that prior to the move I was ready for a change.  Moving to another part of the country can widen your horizens and introduce you to new kinds of people.

We do still have family in nothern Ohio.  I know what you mean about the gray skies.  When we visit in the winter, after 3 or 4 days of grey skies, I get the itch to go back to FL, as the skies can be depressing.  In fact, when it is completely overcast here in FL, it feels like I am back in Ohio.  We built our home in a rural area.  But, there has been a lot of developement since we have moved.  We have a community group that is fighting every step of the way to keep our area rural, but there is only so much they can do.  I only bring this up because if you buy in an arean that is less congested, realize that it may not stay that way.  Good luck to you!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@tarsmom 

Lovin it!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

I retired a little earlier than planned because my dad needed help with Mom who was struggling with dementia. I basically hit the ground running, so to speak.

This is my 3rd year retired and even though Mom has passed I’m still busy helping my dad. He’s in a NH now but one of us takes him to all his dr appts and to some veteran events and church every weekend. We try to keep him busy because after 68 yrs of marriage he really misses Mom.

I help sons out when they need it, like taking care of their dogs when they travel and by giving rides to and from school events for son’s gf children, or like right now, waiting for cable guy to come to son’s house to fix problem.

I don’t have a ton of free time but it sure would be hard to work full time and do everything I now do, especially with regard to Dad.  

Valued Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

I retired a little earlier than planned because my dad needed help with Mom who was struggling with dementia. I basically hit the ground running, so to speak.

This is my 3rd year retired and even though Mom has passed I’m still busy helping my dad. He’s in a NH now but one of us takes him to all his dr appts and to some veteran events and church every weekend. We try to keep him busy because after 68 yrs of marriage he really misses Mom.

I help sons out when they need it, like taking care of their dogs when they travel and by giving rides to and from school events for son’s gf children, or like right now, waiting for cable guy to come to son’s house to fix problem.

I don’t have a ton of free time but it sure would be hard to work full time and do everything I now do, especially with regard to Dad.  

It really makes me realize that I had a tremendous amount of stress being a manager of a busy branch while my mom was in her late 80's living on her own, making mistakes in her checkbook, couldn't get her remote for the TV to work properly (had to drive 20 minutes over there to fix it) and then eventually nursing home, surgery and hospice.  Doing it all stinks.  I am more than ready.  Dang insurance!  Plus my hubby is having surgery this Friday on his lung.  Somedays I don't know how I do it.  

Trusted Contributor

@Bridgegal  I am also considering moving to New Mexico when I retire. Nobody could pay me enough money to retire in Florida!  It's great to read that the people are nice in Santa Fe, that is the city I am most drawn to in my retirement dreams. I've visted NM several times and the climate is so much better suited to my joint issues. I think it's a simply beautiful state, and Santa Fe has a young, artsy vibe. Being a northern girl, I like that it has four seasons, but not crippling snowstorms like where I am now, and dry summers versus horrible humidity.

I would miss the ocean so much though. I think it will all come down to cost of living and taxes when the time comes.  Thank you for posting your experiences.

Honored Contributor

If you don’t get sick, follow your dream.

I retired at 66-1/2, was diagnosed with autoimmune disease six months later.  My plans to compile my hundreds of journals and diaries I had written for over twenty years into a novel went up in smoke.

Just stay healthy.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love retirement and appreciate having the peace I wanted--last 3 yrs working were 12-hr days with high stress.  First 2 months required some adjusting due to leaving a high-stress work routine behind and I had to learn to wind down.  Retired in 2013, worked to age 71 due to divorce at age 57 and I needed to accumulate enough financially to defray my fear of being a bag lady. Would have preferred retiring earlier but I hung in and was able to accomplish my goals; turned out to be better than I ever expected! 

Honored Contributor

@tarsmom wrote:

I have just over a year to go before retiring.  It is SOOOO hard to get up at 6 every day and work 9 hours 5 days.  I'm thinking it's because I'm older now (my DH and I laugh "I'm not 34, I'm not 44, I'm not 54, in two months I'll be 64!!!"   I guess my mind thinks I'm about 40ish and yet here I am, working with so many young people around me all day long.  

It's a very odd place to be right now.  I'm not a grandma, I'm not a millenial, I don't know what I am!  

Most of my friends are retired, DH and I will go together next year (we're two months apart in age).  

Our only son lives out of state and is not married (yet).  

I  spent a lot of years hanging out with my mom, shopping, dining out for lunch, doing her hair, etc. etc. and it's funny how life changes (she's been gone 7+ years).  

I'm trying to figure out what's next - so please give me your routines and have you moved?  (We'll be doing that I believe because I'm not staying in MI winters!).

@tarsmom 

Are you FINANCIALLY ready to retire?    If not, keep working.   Seriously.

I'm not retired, but have been told that it takes about a year for the novelty to wear off.

If you have the $$$ and are healthy, the world is your oyster.