Honored Contributor

@Noel7wrote:

@MoInVAwrote:

@luvmybeetlewrote:

@Blingqueen023wrote:

The only thing I’m going to say is this because no matter where we go to eat we run into screaming kids and the parents sit there and do nothing.  Throw rocks at me, but most parents today Stink, with a capital S.

When my son was young enough to sit in a high chair in a restaurant he was always quiet and women used to come over and comment what a good boy he was and lay down a dime for him.  He is 50 now so they don't do that anymore.  I always disciplined my children when we went out no matter where it was.  Once when we were in a really nice restaurant in Chicago my daughter started to scream and have a tantrum and I took her into the bathroom and spanked her and told her to be quiet or she would be back in there again.  She came out and never did it again.  You need to discipline your children at home and out.  That's my biggest beef with young parents now. 

My mother made sure we were aware that there was no place on earth she wouldn't discipline us if we needed it.  She used to say people would comment on how well-behaved we were when we were out and about and she would laugh and say come over and see how we were at home. We learned at a young age how to sit quiet, be polite, speak to a grown-up, and act in a restaurant. and we passed it on.  You can tell when a child is acting out because they're overtired or feeling unwell, and when they are allowed to do whatever they want. They're not doing the kids any favors.

Kids who are hit are taught violence, it’s hard to get past that.  I didn’t hit but I could glare.  Starting when she was little,  I continually had people tell me what good manners my girl had.  She is an adult now and I still hear it.

But I have never gotten past the bruises I endured even though I was a good kid.  I never got in trouble.

I agree, I never spanked my kids, they are wonderful adults and good parents to their children, whom they never spank.

When my kids were little, I was smarter than them.   I could think of good ways to discipline them without any sort of corporal punishment and I was proud of it.

You learned the glare, I did variations of that as well.   A parent shouldn't try to control a child, what a parent should do is teach discipline.   Spanking is showing a kid I'm bigger than you, I'm stronger than you but what lesson does it teach?   Not a good one.

Honored Contributor

@ Montanawrote:

I was curious about why diners are seated close together even though there are lots of empty tables. One restaurant manager said it makes serving more efficient.

@ Montana that gets on my nerves too - when we go to a restaurant at a slow time, and they sit people next to each other.  I guess they like to contain the work to one area.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

You are absolutely right. It is inconsiderate for parents to subject others to wild children, infants that need changing, etc.

There seems to be a feeling of entitlement in today’s younger parents. I see this entitlement attitude all over.

A sad commentary on today’s  society.

My daughter has boys 2 and 4. The elder has special needs, it is very hard for him to sit, or be quiet anywhere, even wedding ceremonies. My daughter and son in law don’t really see it as a problem.

My daughter was not raised this way.

I practice acceptance. I can’t control the world, only myself, and that alone I have trouble with.

Trusted Contributor

@softwarewrote:

The good news it at least it wasn't during rush hour.

Kids fill their diapers all the time, anywhere and anyplace.

That family may be going through a trauma, maybe just left a hospital or funeral home.   Obviously the kids were out of their element --  missed their nap or whatever and we don't know why.    Cut them some slack.

I would have done the same as you did.   Can't count how many times I've had to leave restaurants or other public places because of various reasons, like you encountered.   But I'm sharing this world, it doesn't belong to me it belongs to them too.

Sorry for the lecture but lighten up.

@software First of all, if you actually read my post you would see that I passed no judgement on the parents or the kids in this situation.  I simply related my experience and commented that parents, in general, shouldn't take children into an environment which they are unprepared to face.  

Second, you said, "the good news is at least it wasn't during rush hour."  By saying this, you immediately acknowledge that this situation was unpleasant, yet the sentiment behind your statement is:  "Luckily only you, not multiple people, had to experience this problem, because you don't count."  I'm supposed to "cut them some slack."  Thanks, you're so kind.

Third, I did "cut them some slack" when I chose to get up and leave the restaurant quietly without giving the parents a lecture about why they should have chosen somewhere else to sit in an empty restaurant and not brought in children who were not mentally or physically prepared for the experience.  If they've missed their nap or come from a trauma scene or a funeral home, that doesn't dismiss them from having to behave properly in a specific environment.  

Sorry for the lecture, but smarten up.

Honored Contributor

@TenderMercies  if you are quite well known in this eatery, it might help to have a quiet word with the owner, and explain what happened to you

In future ,they might be a bit more considerate ,about how they seat people.

Trusted Contributor

@cherrywrote:

@TenderMercies  if you are quite well known in this eatery, it might help to have a quiet word with the owner, and explain what happened to you

In future ,they might be a bit more considerate ,about how they seat people.

@cherry It's general seating.  You can sit wherever you want.

Honored Contributor

@Spurtwrote:

@suzyQ3wrote:

@SandPiperwrote:

@TenderMercies I noticed a couple restaurants opening up with signs in the window that say “ adults only”. I know families with children that are upset over this.  Heck my husband works a lot of hours and when he is off and we want a relaxing dinner out we go to one of these restaurants. We are assured a nice quiet dinner.

Jeez, I'd wonder just what the heck was being served in those restaurants. :-)

A place where adults can enjoy their meal in a pleasant atmosphere.......

It was a joke, @Spurt -- you know that "adults only" has some different connotations?

Even so, such a sign rubs me the wrong way. I guess it's legal, so that settles it, I guess.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@sol_lunawrote:

@suzyQ3wrote:

@SandPiperwrote:

@TenderMercies I noticed a couple restaurants opening up with signs in the window that say “ adults only”. I know families with children that are upset over this.  Heck my husband works a lot of hours and when he is off and we want a relaxing dinner out we go to one of these restaurants. We are assured a nice quiet dinner.

Jeez, I'd wonder just what the heck was being served in those restaurants. :-)

Food that you can find in restaurants like Morton's, Ruth Chris, or other high-end restaurants. In other words, NO burgers, pizza, grilled cheese, etc. or any food that would appeal to children.

@sol_luna, again, as I mentioned to SPURT, it was joke regarding "adults only."

However, did you know that some of the finest restaurants in the country serve -- gasp! -- hamburgers, pizza, and versions of grilled cheese?

As for what appeals to children, my grandchildren were eating all sorts of ethnic food and dining in fine restaurants since they were very young. They behaved or steps were taken by their parents (rare occurrence). Now at 12 and 14 they are professional diners. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

The world does not belong to me, nor does it belong to inconsiderate parents with obnoxious, smelly children. No one should be expected to endure that to which the OP was subjected.

As long as we tolerate it, say nothing, and quietly leave, the offenders will continue their unacceptable behavior. Children who can not or will not sit in their seat quietly at restaurants or theaters shouldn't be there. 

Trusted Contributor

@occasionalrainwrote:

The world does not belong to me, nor does it belong to inconsiderate parents with obnoxious, smelly children. No one should be expected to endure that to which the OP was subjected.

As long as we tolerate it, say nothing, and quietly leave, the offenders will continue their unacceptable behavior. Children who can not or will not sit in their seat quietly at restaurants or theaters shouldn't be there. 

@occasionalrain Honestly, there are two main reasons why I didn't say anything.  First, I did not want to upset the children even more than they already appeared, and although one of the parents probably should have gotten up within the first 5 minutes of sitting down to take the infant ot the bathroom to change her/him, they seemed to have their hands full with the two older children.  Kicking them when they are down just didn't seem like the kind thing to do.  Second, I am a white person, and this was a Hispanic family.  I did not want to be labeled as a racist, and if they were feeling defensive, it would have been easy for them to accuse me of that.  Considering that I was also in a restaurant owned and operated by another minority, it would have looked doubly bad if they started screaming, "racist" at me.  I like eating there, and I'd like to go back.