Honored Contributor

Researching Info and Leaving “cookies” everywhere

If I can't find an answer to something, I go searching the internet.

I know I leave cookies when I go to most websites.

With that in mind (and some ...let's call them ummm..interesting/weird)things and people I research, I do get lots of weird emails.

Most of them definitely do not pertain to me.

A for instance is I just did some research on gay couples who had surrogate babies.

Suddenly an application popped up asking for information so I can start the surrogacy process.

I'm  75 year old who does have the plumbing to be a surrogate.  

I have filters on my computer but some things still gets thru.

Another time I was sitting at my daughter's kitchen table talking to my teenage niece about period cramps she gets.  By the time I got home I got emails about endometriosis and how it can affect pregnancy.

There have been so many instances like that, too many to list.

So if you think big brother is 'listening' you aren't crazy after all.

Regular Contributor

Re: Researching Info and Leaving “cookies” everywhere

A similar thing happened to my daughter and her husband.  They were out and about, and while standing in line noticed a piece of machinery they had never seen.  They were discussing what it might do, etc., and my son-in-law had it come up on his facebook page soon after returning home.  

This type of thing makes me uncomfortable!

Honored Contributor

I use CCleaner on my desktop. That helps get rid of many cookies, trackers...but not all. These days being tracked is unavoidable.

Honored Contributor

I clear out cookies on a regular basis.  

Trusted Contributor

A couple of years ago, a neighbor had furniture delivered from a local furniture store I had never heard of. I saw the truck as I pulled into my driveway. I mentioned it to my daughter later that day. Within a couple of hours, ads started showing up on my Facebook. 

Honored Contributor

All we have to do is talk about something & next thing you know we are getting pop-ups when we get online.

Last time we were in SC we did not want to drive back home so we were talking about paying a semi-truck to haul or car home like dad did when his car broke down so we could fly back. LOL!!! All kinds of semi-truck car delivery places were all over the computer? We had not searched it online yet but were only talking about it.

Happens with stuff we talk about all the time so we know someone is listening to every thing we discuss?

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I use CCleaner on my desktop. That helps get rid of many cookies, trackers...but not all. These days being tracked is unavoidable.

@SilleeMee 

You can do all that but they are still listening to what is being discussed in your own home???  

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz 

Listening, no. But electonically tracking, yes. How would anyone listen? 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Nightowlz 

Listening, no. But electonically tracking, yes. How would anyone listen? 

@SilleeMee 

I don't know but they are. Like I said in my post above when we were at my dad's house in SC we did not want to drive back home. We talked about paying a semi-truck to haul our car home so we could fly back. When we got on the computer there were all kinds of ads for semi-trucks you could pay to haul your car??? 

This happens to us all the time while we are home. We will be talking about something then get on the computer & the ads are all over the place???

Honored Contributor

I am comforted by the fact that the only thing "listening" is some computer program created to pick up mentions of such-and-such.