Honored Contributor

There is a person I would like to honor today. Please feel free to mention anyone you wish  All  who served in various wars fighting for freedom, ours, or others

The first person I would like to honor is a lady that used to come into the Thrift shop. She was a strongly built lady, and carried herself very erect.

I can't recall her name now, but I still remember her. She was disabled due to PTSD. She had been a nurse during the Korean War. One day she came in looking really bedraggled , which was a bit of a shock, because she always was nicely put together

I asked  if she had been ill, and she said, in a way. I was a nurse during the Korean War. It left me with bad memories. Sometimes I can't sleep. I always tell people when I am sleeping never touch me. Call out my name ,but never touch me ,unless I am fully awake.

I sleep with a gun ,or a weapon under my pillow, and  if I am startled, I wake up swingin. The older ladies ( I was still a young woman back then )began talking about what a bad war that was. It was a war, no matter how many times I heard it described as the Korean Conflict.

I don't know if she had anyone to remember her. I would like to. She might not be alive now. I have no idea. But I would like to thank her for her service

Honored Contributor

@cherry    Good reason to think of this nurse for Memorial Day tributes. 

I’d like to remember my dad, who was recently buried in his state’s veterans cemetery.  He was a humble and giving man, who became very successful but always remembered his early life and how some families struggle to just feed and house their children.  I’m honored to be a part of the charitable foundation he set up to continue his good work. 

Esteemed Contributor

i would like to remember my father-in-law.....i never met him....he died in a military plane crash when my husband was nine years old.....he was a test pilot....2 years ago my husband visited the crash site in NY and placed a plaque in honor of the 5 men crew who perished there....pieces of the plane are still there....my husband was able to bring a piece home.....my husband, now 72, followed in his father's love of his country....proud retired air force vet......

Honored Contributor

i would like to say my husband. He is alive, but served our country faithfully for 20 yrs Navy. He did 2 tours in Vietnam. 

I know Memorial Day is for the soldiers, sailors, marines,Air Force vets that have passed on, but i also like to say thanks for all who are still with us.

Honored Contributor

Re: Remembering Our Vets

[ Edited ]

While it’s always honorable to remember our Vets, let us please remember that Memorial Day (last Monday in May) is is the holiday set aside to pay tribute to those who died (in combat) while serving in the military.

Veteran’s Day (November 11th) is designated as a day to honor all who have served in the military.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

Thoughtful post.....thank you....I just finished watching the National Memorial Day Concert.....always emotional.  I would  like to remember and salute my father a WWII Veteran and Prisoner of War, now deceased, as well as my husband a Vietnam Veteran, very proud of both. 

Thank you to all members of our military, past and present.

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

While it’s always honorable to remember our Vets, let us please remember that Memorial Day (last Monday in May) is is the holiday set aside to pay tribute to those who died while serving in the military.

Veteran’s Day (November 11th) is designated as a day to honor all who have served in the military.

I’d say we all know that, but the people we are mentioning...took on that risk.  And I think we’re talking about people who have passed, who continued to serve in other ways after they left the service 

Esteemed Contributor

My husband did two tours in Korea and two in Vietnam. 

He left for the first year when our son was 7 days old. We wrote or sent tapes daily. 

He died from Agent Orange that they sprayed around the bases before he inspected them. 

Many of his friends have died also from problems not just in the war.

i thank all of our military!

Honored Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

My husband did two tours in Korea and two in Vietnam. 

He left for the first year when our son was 7 days old. We wrote or sent tapes daily. 

He died from Agent Orange that they sprayed around the bases before he inspected them. 

Many of his friends have died also from problems not just in the war.

i thank all of our military!

I have a very good friend who is suffering from the agent orange side effects, after serving in Vietnam Nam.  I’m sorry for your loss. 

Trusted Contributor

Some gave all.  Remembering today those who made the ultimate sacrifice.  May they rest in Peace.