Regular Contributor

Re: Remember Christmas Corsages?

@AuntG wrote:

Watching A Christmas Story brought back a memory when all the moms were wearing a corsage on their coats.  I had forgotten how common corsages were at one time. Do you remember them?  Bells, elves, greenery.... you name it.

I remember them! We would buy our Mom one for Christmas and she would wear it on her coat to church. I had forgotten all about them. Thanks for the memory. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@cherry And don't forget the white gloves worn to church too.

Honored Contributor

I have always hated corsages.  When my oldest got married I refused to wear one.  Stuck the thing on my silk clutch.

Didn't want to have to drag around a nosegay either.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My Dad would always buy my Mom a Corsage to wear on Christmas , Easter and her birthday.

Yes, I also remember Christmas pins that ladies would wear all through the season. 

These were such nice , small gestures for the holidays.

I also remember getting my Mom and my MIL corsages to wear at my wedding.

Honored Contributor

Hi everybody,

I remember my Mom always had a Christmas corsage and she would have a smaller version made for my coat. Also both of us wearing white gloves!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/flVIZUMj6MA/maxresdefault.jpg

Trusted Contributor

I was just thinking about Christmas corsages the other day.  I was pinning a Christmas wreath pin on my coat and I was thinking how nobody wears pins like that anymore (I don't care, really, I think it's a fun thing)and I remembered the corsages. 

Also about that time I remember that the girls in my sixth grade class were wearing jingle bells on their shoelaces.  That was around 6th grade for me, so around 1958. 

Honored Contributor

It was not a corsage but she had a lot going on there in her festive ware from Christams Vacation.  Great Aunt Bethany.

Image result for christmas vacation movie great aunt bethany photo

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

No, I don't remember that.  It's like something from a different era and not in the cold Northeast.  

Respected Contributor

Yes, my brother & I would pick it out, pay for it & it was our Christmas gift. I have no idea if my mom liked wearing them but all the ladies did along with those short white gloves. I don't remember what age I was when I got my first pair of white gloves & a sweet rose wrist corsage for Christmas but I loved them.

Respected Contributor

I remember them more for Easter and Mother's Day.  

My mom would never wear one.  She said they were for "old ladies"  LOL