Honored Contributor

Re: Remember Christmas Corsages?

Does anyone still buy corsages?  I wonder of florists still sell them.

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

I remember them more for Easter and Mother's Day.  

My mom would never wear one.  She said they were for "old ladies"  LOL

Now that, I remember.   I remember Mother's Day corsages in particular and not just for mothers.  As, I recall women would wear corsages and there were specific colors that represented whether you mother was still living or deceased.  I remember my mom didn't like wearing corsages, she would pin them on her clutch.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

I remember them more for Easter and Mother's Day.  

My mom would never wear one.  She said they were for "old ladies"  LOL

Now that, I remember.   I remember Mother's Day corsages in particular and not just for mothers.  As, I recall women would wear corsages and there were specific colors that represented whether you mother was still living or deceased.  I remember my mom didn't like wearing corsages, she would pin them on her clutch.  

Red carnations for if your Mother was still living and white if she had already passed.  I remember feeling sorry for my Great Grandmother being the only one in our family for so many years wearing a white one.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

I remember them for Christmas and Mother's day.  But, I also remember that when I was in grammar school we had birthday corsages.  They had things on them like gum drops or sugar cubes or tiny dog biscuits.  They each had a meaning for the birthday year.  The birthday girl could wear several of these on her day!

Honored Contributor

I don’t remember Christmas Corsages.  In my area, the ladies and little girls all wore Christmas pins on their coats.  And, No white gloves, not at Christmas time.  Maybe black leather gloves.  No one wore white after Labor Day.  Some of the coats had bracelet sleeves amd long leather gloves were worn with them.

Coursages were worn for Easter and Mother’s Day.  At that time, you would see white gloves.  As a child, I wore white shoes, white gloves and a hat to church every Sunday, as was the norm.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

The older church ladies (including my Grams) always wore one. Wonder what the history is on those corsages.

@SahmIam

What exactly do  "church ladies" do?

Super Contributor

Maybe it was a regional thing but I remember having birthday corsages for each year, between 11 ( dog biscuits) and 16 (sugar cubes.)  We would order them from the florist, mine being November would have a large chrysantemum in the center with a bow and whatever symbol was your year.  We would then make small ribbons with whatever was your symbol (dog biscuit, bubblegum, sugar cubes for your best friends to wear also.  I grew up in Brooklyn, NY.  Any other areas remember this.

Honored Contributor

I am vintage, but never heard of or saw corsages at Christmas.  Not in my little corner of Oklahoma.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Does anyone still buy corsages?  I wonder of florists still sell them.

@ValuSkr

during prom season wrist corsages are still very popular.....at least around here.

i dont remember christmas corsages, but maybe that wasnt a "thing" in my family.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

As far as Christmas corsages, growing up in the 50's in Brooklyn, Mom wore a corsage through the holiday season and my sister and I wore a smaller version.  After Christmas mass, we waited to walk past the nativity that was set up in our Church and the women would remove them from their coat and place them by the side of the nativity.  Not sure why.  I never wanted to leave mine though.  They were decorated with greenery, maybe a woodland deer or a bell etc. and a pretty bow.  Not sure why they were worn, maybe just decorative on your coat.  Check out Pinterest to see.