Esteemed Contributor

Relief payment and SSDI recipients

[ Edited ]

It is my understanding that in order to receive money from the CARES act individuals must have filed a 2018 or 2019 tax return. 

I've heard people who are on SS and don't usually file be advised to fill out a 1040-EZ in order to get CARES money. 

If a person is on SSDI and doesn't usually file and files this year in order to get the money, will that affect their filing status next year?  Will they end up "giving back" some or all of the money they get?

I know someone who was on straight SS who didn't usually file but did in order to get the $200 check sent to all filers a few years ago and wasn't required to file the following year. But that was $200, this will be $1200.  Would that make a difference?

Thanks in advance. 🙂

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Relief payment and SSDI recipients

[ Edited ]

@esmerelda  ......  It is my understanding that they are going to furnish a website for people that did not file to furnish their direct deposit information. I am not 100% sure of this though. Our H & R Block is answering tax questions over the phone free. You might give them a call.

Honored Contributor

Coronavirus stimulus checks: Will I get a check if I’m on Social Security?

Am I eligible to receive a coronavirus relief check if I’m on Social Security?

That’s one of the most common questions asked by our readers following the passage of the $2.2 trillion relief package, which was signed by President Donald Trump on Friday after rounds of tense negotiations.

The answer: yes. Retirees, Social Security beneficiaries and those on disability or Supplemental Security Income will be eligible to get a stimulus check based on their tax returns or Social Security Administration information, according to the AARP.

In Massachusetts, that covers roughly one in every six people who receive Social Security, according to AARP data. Of the 1,185,319 people who received Social Security benefits in 2012, 65% were retired; 35% were not.

AARP lobbied to guarantee that low-income Social Security recipients will get the full $1,200 check — not the $600 check initially proposed before the Trump administration and congressional leaders worked out a deal.

Those on Social Security who didn’t file taxes in 2018 or 2019 are still eligible for a check without filing a return, based on data available to the IRS from annual Social Security benefits statements.

The government will send those people direct deposit or a paper check using the information from their Form SSA-1099 Social Security Benefit Statement or Form RRB-1099 Social Security Equivalent Benefit Statements.

Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette  It sounds like they don't need to file or do anything. Just wait? That's very helpful if true. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@esmerelda wrote:

@geezerette  It sounds like they don't need to file or do anything. Just wait? That's very helpful if true. 

@esmerelda 

Here is another excerpt from Forbes dot com that may help to clarify:

What if You Didn’t File a Tax Return?

The IRS is using tax returns to determine stimulus check eligibility. If you receive Social Security benefits, you should receive Form SSA-1099, Social Security Benefit Statement or Form RRB-1099, Social Security Equivalent Benefit Statement.

The IRS can use the information on this form to send you a stimulus check, even if your income isn’t high enough for you to file a tax return.

However, some individuals may receive non-taxable income, or another form of income that does not involve a Form 1099. Some examples of non-taxable income include Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and VA disability benefits. If these are your sole source of income or you do not otherwise need to file a tax return, the IRS may not have a process in place to send you a stimulus check.

If this is case, then you will most likely need to file a tax return.

The good news is that you should be able to file your tax return for free, since your income will fall under the $66,000 income limit for the IRS Free File program

You file directly through the IRS website, or you can use one of the commercial tax software companies that also provide free tax returns.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@esmerelda 

From what I understand, if you fall within the income guidelines and receive a Form SSA-1099 or RRB-1099, you need do nothing. 

There are some instances that people do not get those same Social Security forms and those people may have to file a return.

I hope that helps.

Honored Contributor

They no longer have the 1040EZ Form so I found out when I did our taxes. 

Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette  Thanks for the details. I'll check with my friend to see what, if any form, is received. 

Keepin' it real.