Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

roofing companies

remodeling companies

window companies

skincare stores/kiosks in the mall

security companies

cable tv/dish/satellite companies

they rarely take NO for an answer.......i tell them "i am in a hurry and on my lunchbreak," or "i live in an apartment," or "i have allergies," or "i am moving overseas," among other things.

Those skincare mall kiosk people are the worst. I told one I have allergies and he shouted (because I kept walking) that his stuff was "all organic."

"SO ARE CATS!" I yelled back, and kept going. Idiot. Organic isn't the same as non-allergenic.

Honored Contributor

One time, and only one time, I was leaving Costco, and one of the solar panel vendors tried to intercept me.  I said I wasn't interested, and kept walking. He said "you aren't interested in saving money?"   I thought that was very rude.  I might have already had solar panels, I might have been living in a rental, etc. 

I never did file a complaint, but maybe other members did. We pay to shop there, and shouldn't be subjected to that. 

I agree that the skin care vendors in malls and shopping centers are the biggest offenders.   

Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

One time, and only one time, I was leaving Costco, and one of the solar panel vendors tried to intercept me.  I said I wasn't interested, and kept walking. He said "you aren't interested in saving money?"   I thought that was very rude.  I might have already had solar panels, I might have been living in a rental, etc. 

I never did file a complaint, but maybe other members did. We pay to shop there, and shouldn't be subjected to that. 

I agree that the skin care vendors in malls and shopping centers are the biggest offenders.   

@september 

Your post has me wracking my brain trying to remember who it was or what it was that was being sold door to door on my street and when I said I wasn't interested said "you aren't interested in helping to save the planet?". Heh, probably another solar panel sales person.

Esteemed Contributor

or folks selling bamboo sheets at Costo

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

I don't care for any type of pushy sales person, telemarketer, or door to door or in a store but I try not to be rude.  I keep in mind they are working, some have families to support, some it may be the only job they can get due to whatever circumstances.  I try really hard to smile, say no and move on.  At home my large dog accompanies me to the door barking his welcome so they move on quickly.  BUT I have also been know to say stop! I'm not interested when its gets to much.

Honored Contributor

or walking into Sam's Club...these home improvement salespeople "jump" right on you...I just tell them "you're 2 years too late" they normally say OK  & go onto next person!

These salespeople are certainly good at hearing NO I'm sure!!!

😉

Respected Contributor

Re: Relentless Sales People

[ Edited ]

@shaggygirl  I haven't had that happen yet at Home Depot.  I don't like salesmen.  I'm a "bear" when it comes to dealing with salesmen.  I'll say "NO" one time; just one word, "NO".  Or I'll tell them to please go away.  If they persist, I'll see a store manager.  I don't let salesmen be "relentless" with me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Chicagosuburbangirl -

That's funny!Woman LOL-

and pretty good deterrent to them bothering you any further!

I've found that with those mall skincare people from I forget where, I've learned not to make eye contact and walk fast past them.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

I live in a condo. My maintenance fee takes care of the security system.  I am told the type of replacement door and windows I can buy. You can not buy solar panels. 

Home Depot and Lowes don't have independent sales people selling in the store. We get phone calls pushing solar panels. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just walk away.  I will tell hardcore salespeople I'm not interested a couple of times that I'm not interested and then politely say thank you and walk away without a pause.  No need to be rude or unkind.