Respected Contributor

Is it possible to refuse a UPS (or FedEx) package?

If so, is there paperwork or does the driver just take back?

I ordered an item from Wayfair and needed to cancel due to size problem. They will let me know within 24 hours if the shippment can be cancelled. Yes, I can return it but it is a 50 pound mirror. I would rather be able to cancel but wondering about rejecting the shipment if needed.

Thanks

Honored Contributor

If you refuse a package, you get no paperwork (aka tracking info), they just put it back on the truck and cross your fingers that it actually gets returned and you get your refund.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Its easy, and they are glad to do it.  I get packages almost every day of somekind.  When uPS comes i give it back, he scans it, enters into system and takes it.  The trick is to catch the ups man.  Even if he is on block, flag him down.

i have in the past wrote refused on box and left it out.  He left a  pick up slip as proof he took it.

third way is to write refused on box, and take to UPS store in your town.  It is best to not open box.  

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure the package would be insured for the return trip.  I'd find out before refusing glass.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

A long time ago, I 'refused' an order from QVC, that was vendor shipped, unbeknowst to me.

It was a large, heavy item and before Q had 'return labels', so I was trying to avoid the cost to ship it back, once I realized it wouldn't fit.

I wrote 'refused' on the unopened box and called UPS for pickup, never seeing the mysterious (invisible) UPS man.

It was picked up, but he left no kind of tracking, etc. and I waited an eternity for credit, which never came.

After inquiring with QVC, turns out the item was returned to the vendor who shipped it, but they didn't notify QVC of the return.

I was seriously admonished by QVC and told never to refuse a package, return instead.

As @Kachina624 stated, one reason given was insurance only covered shipment TO me.

Lesson learned......

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I refused a package from HSN. They said they never got it. I had to pay for it.

Honored Contributor

If you catch the UPS driver, you can refuse a package.  I would never do it with Q due to their totally inept returns handling but I have done it a couple of times with other retailers.

UPS won't take any packages marked "refused" once they have delivered them  However, you might get a prepaid return label from Wayfair....or one that won't cost you an arm and a leg.  Then you can save it and give it to the UPS driver the next time they stop at your house or you can arrange for pick up (possible cost).

Esteemed Contributor

You can do it but good luck.  So many problems these days with all kinds of mail delivery whether it be UPS or FedEx or USPS.  Not enough space here for my list of strange things happening to me.  

But being it is soooo heavy... give it a try.  

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

Is it possible to refuse a UPS (or FedEx) package?

If so, is there paperwork or does the driver just take back?

I ordered an item from Wayfair and needed to cancel due to size problem. They will let me know within 24 hours if the shippment can be cancelled. Yes, I can return it but it is a 50 pound mirror. I would rather be able to cancel but wondering about rejecting the shipment if needed.

Thanks

@granddiContact Wayfair for guidance.

As others stated, refusing a package opens the door to the item never being returned and you being out a refund.

I've noticed vendors making it harder to cancel an order lately; if not done within minutes you are out of luck.  Yet it takes forever to receive the package!

Good luck but I would want a tracking receipt.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Refusing a package probably turns it into abandoned property. 

If the UPS person takes it, it may or may not be sent back to the shipper.

The shipper has presumably paid only to have it sent to the buyer, not round trip.

If you refuse the package, you have no record of the refusal and you don't have the goods, so you have nothing.

The driver may have a record of delivery if he or she scanned the package as delivered, so the shipper and delivery service are covered.

The stories on this thread strongly suggest doing a documented return if you can't cancel the order and want your money back. It's a pain, but it's better than having no mirror and no refund.