Esteemed Contributor

Never use paper plates or plastic cups at home, Use cloth napkins except when eating outdoors. Brew my own iced tea instead of buying it in a plastic bottle. Good old clothing goes to Goodwill, unusable clothes and shoes go to local school recycling fundraisers 2x/year..Those wonderful Trader Joe's bags are used to hold paper recycling before going out in the big can. Buy a large bag/box/jar of something instead of two smaller ones, then recycle. I save all plastic bags for a couple of weeks, then take them to the grocery store where they collect them for recycling. I also shop thrift and garage sales for "new to me" home furnishings, the bay for clothing and accessories and I always buy a pre-owned car when it's time.

Honored Contributor

Re: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

[ Edited ]

When I remove the shell from the hard boiled eggs, I reuse the carton (empty) to hold the shells and then dispose of all of it.

Other things, containers of different types, I see if my husband can use in his shop or for things in the garage.

Love how blue jeans have been made into book covers, and other items.

Respected Contributor

We have a great store in our area where you can take all of your unused paint, building products and old furniture to resell.  I think every city needs something like this.  My neighbor got kitchen counter material for her new kitchen for $25.  It is brand new, something that was special ordered and never picked up at Lowe's.  They have shower enclosures, light fixtures, flooring  - nice that companies bring their unused material here instead of sending it to the dump.  Recyle folks!

Honored Contributor

We have used only cloth napkins for years.I use any plastic store bags for trash and doggie stuff.We keep our heat at 65 during the day and 60 at night during the winter months.I have cozy blankets in the family room to snuggle up with if it gets chilly.I have a lot of microfiber cloths that I use for cleaning up spills and general housecleaning.I walk to the grocery store,dentist,bank and anyplace that is within walking distance.I rarely need fuel for my car but my running shoes do wear out.

Respected Contributor

i reuse my Q garment shipping bags as garbage/trash bags.  when towels are old and sad, they are great for polishing silver (yes, i still enjoy my silver so need to polish from time to time!).   the supermarket plastic bags for veggies i rinse out, dry  and use again -- and again.  i use cotton tea towels - hardly ever use paper towels.  

thanks to all for good ideas.  

Honored Contributor

@DoneTryin wrote:

I knit my own market bags & Swiffer pads from sturdy cotton yarns that wear like iron & are easily washed.  I bought mesh produce bags so I don't have to use the plastic at the store.  Planning on making some myself as soon as I get a sewing machine.  I also prefer using cloth napkins & would rather wash dishes & cutlery than use paper & plastic.  I save the liquid used in steaming vegetables & freeze then dump whatever I have into soup or chili pot when I make them.  Same with little bits & pieces of leftover vegs.  I just make sure to use the latter two quickly to ensure quality & freshness.  I use the back (blank) side of junk mail for grocery lists & other notes to myself.  Same with the envelopes.  At work, I often have to print out documents & sometimes get "extra" pages which I use for scratch paper & notes.  Learning to make beads from colorful magazine pages.  Learning to spin newspaper into a sort of "yarn" that can be wrapped around a clean empty can to make colorful container for plants, pens/pencils, etc.  Or, knit or woven into placemats (have to poly treat to make moisture- proof).

@DoneTryin

I'd love to see your market bags. I bet they are really neat!

I used to hear that ladies would unravel old sweaters or afghans and reuse the yarn to create something new, but I haven't heard of anyone doing that in a very long time.

Honored Contributor

If I can't donate it or recycle it into the recycling bin I throw it out.

I know if I say to myself I can turn this widget into a thingamajig it will never happen and it will get thrown out the next time I come across it, so I save myself a step!

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

When I remove the shell from the hard boiled eggs, I reuse the carton (empty) to hold the shells and then dispose of all of it.

Other things, containers of different types, I see if my husband can use in his shop or for things in the garage.

Love how blue jeans have been made into book covers, and other items.

egg shells are actually great in the garden (soil)  or smashed up into bird food if you have bird feeders, especially during the nesting season.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Sister Golden Hair wrote:

Most everything that I don't use or need anymore goes to the churches in town.

This is a very simple thing but if you use SOS pads (not on a real dirty job) when you are done, put them in a baggie then in the freezer, they won't rust that way. Take them out and they are ready to go.

If you ever buy the rollerball perfume, some of the tops will come off and you can fill with other perfume.

I have told @HappyDaze about this little tip. I use Blinc mascara and it comes in a metal tube. I use these to put the rollerball perfume in when we travel.

What really upsets me is that Dollar General throws away all their clothes hangers. What a waste. I like the pant hangers and lots of regular hangers to family and friends.

Does anyone use cloth napkins anymore? People use way too many paper towels and napkins. Also, I don't use very many baggies.

And I don't like paper plates. I refuse to use them. Even on a picnic I have plastic trays to eat. And use regular silverware that I bought for the picnic basket.

I guess I could go on and on.

@Sister Golden Hair

We switched to cloth napkins many years ago. I get most of mine at thrift stores. It is amazing how many nice sets of cloth napkins people never use and give away.

I don't care for the over use of paper and foam plates either. I know some people who use them everyday. Makes me cringe.

@Mominohio They do make 100% compostable paper plates that are also made out of recycled material but yeah, I guarantee the majority of people are not using these (they tend to be a bit more expensive) nor are they composting them.

Respected Contributor

My hairdresser is sold on Restore ( Habitat for Humanity) as the first place to shop for items when she is redoing any room, esp. Bathroom and kitchens.  The brand new things donated are unbelievable.  I have found some used accessory items as well. 

One day day I was considering a used white wrought iron small patio table and chairs....while I was in another part of the store, it got sold !

In FL, this winter we found gorgeous old alabaster light fixtures for our guest bathroom for $ 24.  It's now one of our regular places to shop.

Recycling helps everyone....pitch in and save some money.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill