Respected Contributor

Redirected my spending today

I usually make a QVC purchase once or twice a month (usually clothes) but since the pandemic and stay home recommendations, I have no need to buy more clothes. My closet is full and  some items have not even been worn yet.  I'm not going out to dinner and I'm watching church service online.  

So today I bought a  $100 ticket for the St. Jude Home giveaway. Every year they build a new home in my area and sell tickets to those living in the area to win the home and other prizes. The proceeds go towards treatment and care for children and families while they are at St. Jude Hospital for children in Memphis TN.  I feel like my money went for a good cause instead of buying more stuff that I don't really need. I doubt I will win the home but at least I made a contribution to a good cause.

Good purchase for me today!

Honored Contributor

Re: Redirected my spending today

Good for you!  We gave most of our "stimulus" money to charities.  We didn't need it.  Good luck!!  Hope you win something!!!

Honored Contributor

A thoughtful decision and Good Luck.

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

I usually make a QVC purchase once or twice a month (usually clothes) but since the pandemic and stay home recommendations, I have no need to buy more clothes. My closet is full and  some items have not even been worn yet.  I'm not going out to dinner and I'm watching church service online.  

So today I bought a  $100 ticket for the St. Jude Home giveaway. Every year they build a new home in my area and sell tickets to those living in the area to win the home and other prizes. The proceeds go towards treatment and care for children and families while they are at St. Jude Hospital for children in Memphis TN.  I feel like my money went for a good cause instead of buying more stuff that I don't really need. I doubt I will win the home but at least I made a contribution to a good cause.

@Goodie2shoes     and it is a year end tax write off for donation too! Win Win!

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

Unlikely.  Since she received something for her money -- namely, a chance at winning the giveaway -- it doesn't qualify as a "donation."  That's why raffle tickets are not deductible.

Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoes  What a great idea… And a great cause. Do they send you the ticket? Or do they send your a ticket number? How does that end of it work, if you know?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Good for you!  We gave most of our "stimulus" money to charities.  We didn't need it.  Good luck!!  Hope you win something!!!

I donated my stimulus money also to a fund to help the small business in my city that were shut down.  Hope it helps a little.

Respected Contributor

@vsm wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

Unlikely.  Since she received something for her money -- namely, a chance at winning the giveaway -- it doesn't qualify as a "donation."  That's why raffle tickets are not deductible.

It qualifies as a donation if the donor does not receive anything. 

Respected Contributor

@esmereldawrote: What a great idea… And a great cause. Do they send you the ticket? Or do they send your a ticket number? How does that end of it work, if you know?

They sent me a confirmation number. I guess that's the number they put in the hat. The house is beautiful, it's been shown on TV. I think I would sell it, it's to big for me. I just downsized last year. The money goes for a good cause which is the main thing. I'm blessed to have two healthy grandsons.

Trusted Contributor

I donate  some money every month to the LGBT community for those who cannot afford the SRS and also that they have been abused and neglected by their families.

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece