Respected Contributor

Re: Recommendations For Dry Skin Winter Legs

Josie Maran Body Butter unscented.

Valued Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I have multiple bottles, tubes, and jars of lotions, creams, and butters too - Alpha Skincare, Perlier, Gold Bond, Tweak'd. They're all good for daily use. I use a Salux cloth 2-3 times a week while showering and then apply the chosen moisturizer of the day on damp skin. When I think of it, I'll add some Skinn Divine Elixir Luminous Oil (the orange one) to the moisturizer.

This may be a turn-off to some, but I don't shower everyday, I shower every other day. I don't do anything that gets me dirty. I can take care of "parts" at the sink in between my showers.  

Thank you for mentioning skipping a daily shower. I love a daily shower but it's not really good for our skin, especially as we age. If you're not hot, sweaty, exercising it's not necessary. CeraVe was also recommended by me/spouse's derms (different derms!)  And over-exfoliating is also a no-no. And not vigorously toweling off - pat dry. 

Respected Contributor

Vanicream is awesome. I get dry itchy legs as soon as I switch from shorts to jeans for the season and this has worked great. Not sure if it's the cold weather or the jeans that irritate me but this keeps it in check as long as I use it most days. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ciao_bella I have psoriasis and the driest skin on the planet. This will last and really hold in moisture. You can add any second lotion after this has sunk in for awhile if you like. Warm it on your hands and rub in good. Best used after showering. It can last 24 hours. It contains some lanolin. Lanolin is the only substance that penetrates the skins's horny layer and stays.  Eurcerin ORIGINAL HEALING CRÈME. Be careful, there are other Eucerin lotions and cremes from this line. 

Seals in moisture to protect and heal very dry, compromised skin
Free of fragrances and dyes, won’t clog pores
Provides 24-hour moisture

IMG_3925.jpeg

Valued Contributor

Following this as well.  The Vanicream and Gold Bond I use still leaves my skin dry and patchy.  About two or three times a week I use the Alpha Glycolic lotion and still have dry skin.  

@JeanLouiseFinch I follow that shower schedule as well. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am always trying different products for eczema on my hands.

Gold Bond

Eucerin 

many many others.

Nothing works not even prescriptions. I have to apply different creams or body butters all day long. My hands crack and bleed they are so dry. The worst part is the itching.

Even Vaseline type products don't work. 

Steroids helped years ago but I don't want to take them.

Esteemed Contributor

@luvmyteddy4, have you tried "Cortizone-10" Intensive healing lotion for Eczema (in a red tube) for your hands? It really has helped me....takes care of the itching and also heals. I found it at Walgreens so it's very reasonable in price.

My dermatologist told me to limit the number of showers I take and to not use hot water. Apply Eucerin or CeraVe as soon as possible after getting out of the shower and blotting off the water. You may need a prescription for a stronger lotion if these don't help you. Best of luck to you.

Respected Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

@luvmyteddy4, have you tried "Cortizone-10" Intensive healing lotion for Eczema (in a red tube) for your hands? It really has helped me....takes care of the itching and also heals. I found it at Walgreens so it's very reasonable in price.

My dermatologist told me to limit the number of showers I take and to not use hot water. Apply Eucerin or CeraVe as soon as possible after getting out of the shower and blotting off the water. You may need a prescription for a stronger lotion if these don't help you. Best of luck to you.

Thank you, I have tried that also. I've had this since I was 15 and the only thing that worked was a very expensive shot that worked but I almost lost my sight. One of the side effects. 

I have given up on finding anything that works. It's pretty bad.

Honored Contributor

What brands of oil should I look at.  I have used one brand 'Loccataine' a few times, which is nice but can you name a few others?

Respected Contributor

Eucerin extremely dry lotion works well.