Honored Contributor

Recall of Wild Bird Food due to contamination with aflatoxin.

[ Edited ]

I'm posting here because many of you have bird feeders and I  don't  know whether to put this in Garden, Pet Lovers or Wellness. The brand is Kaytee Wild Bird Food  Birders' Blend in 8 lb bags. Lot PennPak1 102022 933 located on the bottom right corner of the front of the 8 lb. bags of Kaytee® Wild Bird Food Birder’s Blend. Item was found to contain elevated levels of Aflatoxin. This was sold by Ace Hardware in Alabama, Florida and Georgia. For complete information see the FDA page for this recall.

https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/voluntary-recall-one-lot-kayteer...E9A78BC0-8040-4FF4-80AB-5D1B0D6B5563.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Re: Recall of Wild Bird Food due to contamination with aflatoxin.

@Mindy D 

Thank you.  I hope this information is widely publicized and the seed is destroyed.  I don't live in the region mentioned, but our bird population in this country is declining.  We need to do what we can to help them survive and flourish.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D  Thanks for the info and the link. I saw Kaytee black oil sunflower seeds at ShopRite today. It was a really great price, and I'm planning on buying it tomorrow when I can get a "Senior Discount."  Kaytee is a fairly well-known brand, so I hope this is the end of the recalls. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use the Valley Splendor birdseed from Costco. The 45lb bag has shrunk due to inflation, but it is still a great price and is premium blend. It is loaded with blackoil sunflower seedss and that keeps my cardinals happy. I store it in several large L&L since I like to keep it fresh. I have to ask where it is when I go to Costco; it usually isn't with the dogfood, etc, and they move it around for some reason.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D   Thank you for posting this.  I feed lots of birds (have about 8 feeders in the tree outside my kitchen window) but luckily don't use this particular one.  

First the first time, I saw a little blue/green bird last weekend.  I thought it might have been a pet that escaped, but it was only in my tree for a short time.  It enjoyed the seed and flew off. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hope no birds are harmed by this bird seed. Bird flu in wild birds is still a threat to them and our domestic fowl. Attracting multiple birds to a single feeder can put them at risk of exposure they otherwise would not experience if they were eating in the wild. Contaminated bird seed is a double threat.

Respected Contributor

Re: Recall of Wild Bird Food due to contamination, @ with aflatoxin.

Thanks for this information, @Mindy D . I usually buy from Wild Birds but we have a new Ace in town so I just bought some seed from them a week ago. Even though the recall lists certain states, it sounds like they may have distributed them to other states. I, of course, may be wrong and just read it incorrectly but will surely check.  I love my bird visitors and surely don't want to harm any of them.

Respected Contributor

Re: Recall of Wild Bird Food due to contamination, @ with aflatoxin.

@Mindy D 

Thank you for this "heads up."

I'm on subscribe for assorted pkgs of Bird Seeds, but fortunately not Kaytee & fortunately i'm not in those areas.  I'll alert friends tho.  Woman Happy