Respected Contributor

Re: Reason I don't work For AAA

buy a GPS and keep it updated

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  What a hassle so close yet so far.

I'm not sure your living in a city environment is the answer on street names. Trust me (chuckling) they do the same here where I live.LOL

Esteemed Contributor

We have many roads in our county where the name changes when you go from one township to another. Mitchell Street becomes State Street. Mount Pleasant Road becomes Freese Road. Those are just two of the loony changes I see every day. For those who are unfamiliar with the town, getting lost is almost obligatory.

Honored Contributor

There are roads like that in many places.  A few even in just the few suburban towns I'm near (and in).  A street has one name on one side of the intersection, and another name on the other side.

Communities are in charge of street names, not AAA.  (If that's what you meant.)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2

I agree with another poster.  This has nothing to do with the Triple A (AAA Auto Club).  It has everything to do with making a turn into UNKNOWN TERRITORY. 

Your gripe should be taken to the county which did not provide signage to your liking.

BTW:  Didn't that bumpy dirt road really cause a lot of pain in your knee that you plan to replace?

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2: There are many roads like that where I live, & if the gps calls it by a name I don't know, I'm lost!Woman Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative  

@sfnative  First, the AAA was meant to be funny.  Second,  the terrority wasn't unknown I just didn't know it well. As to the crack of the signage not being to my liking, it was just confusing.  Third, knee is fine, I wasn't in a buckboard. But thanks for your concern. You know, now I remember why I stopped doing these forums years ago.  Toodles!!

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I went to get Driver's Lic. picture taken. Coming home on our paved state road a big truck was in a ditch with wrecker there.. I was 1 and 1/2 mi. from home. Stopped and waited until a guy told me it would be a while.  There is a dirt road on the left, Smith Road, 1000 ft. beyond blockage and a dirt road behind me. Figured take road behind me keep going right and it had to meet the other end of Smith road. Now, I don't do dirt roads unless it's absolutely.  I want fastest route from Point A to Point B.

Went over freakin hill and dale, no Smith Road. Saw a sign for a Jones road and  kept driving. I finally found my home and was telling hubby.

His response, "Oh,  you should have turned on Jones Road, it's the same road. Smith Road on our side and Jones on the other end.  The stupid road ia a mile long.

Who thought that up. The Mr. Magoo office of roads.  I miss the city sometimes.

@CrazyKittyLvr2, we’ve got a few rural roads here that have different names.  It can get confusing for sure!

A few years ago I was driving home from a friend’s house and came upon a large fallen tree, with tons of large branches, completely blocking the road.  There was already another driver stopped on the opposite side. Neither of us could go any farther. He called 911 and yelled over to me asking the name of the road. The tree fell very close to the line between 2 counties and a nearby sign proved it.  So I had to call over to him and explain that on his side the road it was one name but on my side it was a different name and it depended which county sent the road crew as to which road name would make the most sense to them. True story. 

Super Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 i get what you were saying about AAA!..Cant believe how rude some are......I would hate to work for them with all the kooky ways they do signs....Have seen it many times.

Esteemed Contributor

Happy you got home safely.

When we first moved here, I thought I would go out for a bit.  I stayed on the same road yet the name changed 3 times and I was less than 15 minutes from home.  I turned around and went home.  I much prefer to use landmarks as references.

I got your AAA reference;  the poor service guy would be all over looking for the client.