Respected Contributor

Re: Really bad situation with USPS

[ Edited ]

@songbird wrote:

Last week I ordered a sweater the Ann Taylor.  I sent it via USPS.  I received a notification from USPS saying that it will arvive late.  That was 5 days ago.  I have not received the package.  I finally reached a live person at Ann Taylor.  They told me to wait another week before calling back.  Today I received another notification from USPS that a ring I ordered from ShopHQ will be running late.  The same message as before for the other item. So I fully expect to wait a week or so for this one.  I can't reach anyone at the USPS.  They just leave a recorded message saying the delay is because of COVID and few handlers at the post office.  Not my day.....

And you are surprised that your merchandise is running late this time of year and the virus???    SMH  

Honored Contributor

My mail used to be delivered about 3 - 3:30 pm.  Now I am lucky if it here by 7 pm. 

I got an email this morning from HSN saying that a purchase would be delayed.  That purchase was delivered yesterday!  

Trusted Contributor

@songbird 

USPS Faces Busiest Time of the Year With 16,000 Employees Quarantined

The U.S. Postal Service is experiencing its busiest period of the year ahead of the holiday season, but it is being forced to do so without all of its normal resources.

More than 14,000 USPS employees are currently quarantining due to potential COVID-19 exposure, according to a recent update provided to the National Association of Letter Carriers, which represents more than 2% of the postal workforce. More than 7,000 employees are currently positive for the novel coronavirus or presumed to be, meaning more than one out of every 100 workers currently has COVID-19. About 23,000 employees have tested positive since the beginning of the pandemic.

The uptick in cases—USPS has seen positive tests skyrocket by 43% in the last month—comes at a difficult time for the mailing agency, which always sees mail and package volume soar in December. Due to restrictions and fears related to the pandemic, Postmaster General Louis DeJoy said he expects record volume this season and increases of more than one-third compared to 2019. The Postal Service’s private sector competitors are overrun, DeJoy added, meaning USPS will get additional overflow.

The postmaster general, who has faced significant criticism during his brief tenure for policies that led directly to mail delays, acknowledged the uptick of coronavirus cases is taking its toll.

“We continue to see high rates of absenteeism in hot spots around the country,” DeJoy said in a video message to employees on Monday. “This has an impact on local and national service performance and it adds stress throughout the workforce.”

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

My confusion is why the postal service is making more work for themselves. From some of the posts above, it seems they have more than enough already. My package was sent from Ontario CA to Salt Lake City then to Phoenix, which is my location. It left Phoenix and they took it Tolleson, an exurb of Phoenix. It was then moved to Yuma, on the border with CA. I am assuming it will eventually land back in Phoenix. My last pkg sent from Ontario the same deviant way but did get delivered to me finally. All those extra trips and transfering it around seems like more work for them. I am guessing they don't have enough to do or else they don't know what they are doing.

Honored Contributor

I got a heads up not to expect usual service from the USPS this season. Last week DH mailed an important packet priority mail and certified. It was supposed to get there last Thursday or at least by Saturday. Tracking today revealed it is in D.C, and the delivery will be "delayed." I'm still trying to figure out why it went to D.C. since that is way out of its way (?) 

Honored Contributor

Have had similar experiences.  Eventually, you probably will receive your orders.

One of mine was stuck at my local PO for 3 weeks before delivery.  I was notified there'd be a delay, but nothing until an email informing it was delivered.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@laluzdelmundo   This is from my memory only:  Way back, at some point in the late '90s, not sure of the year, the Postal Service began eliminating many distribution centers across the country.

Eventually, for instance, mail from Connecticut went to someplace in Vermont--thinking maybe White River Junction--before making its way to wherever its ultimate destination, even local, was.  A few years before that Brewery St. in New Haven, CT was a distribution center, then that was changed to Walllingford, CT, and then the change to the Vermont fiasco.

So when your letters or packages take these circuitous trips and then stall, that is part of what is going on.

Things were better before the U.S. Postal Service had all these "improvements" thrust on them.

Find a long term carrier when they are off duty and they can give you chapter and verse in the sad tale over the last thirty years or so.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Respected Contributor

If you have USPS Tracking Numbers for the items, take the numbers to your local post office.  Ask person to trace the shipments.  That may be possible.

Respected Contributor

I tried that in October when I had a package make it from Maine to the distribution center in metro Atlanta. It sat there for 2 weeks with no movement and all tracking stopped. After I contacted the local PO they looked into to it and I got an email saying that my inquiry had been successfully completed. I called and spoke with  the PO official asked how was it successfully completed when I never received my package and there was no tracking on it. She said they were unable to do anything else. Go figure. By the way I never did receive it. The seller sent another one that I did receive. This is not a complaint about Postal workers but it is sad that the US mail seems to be broken.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cats3000 wrote:

If you have USPS Tracking Numbers for the items, take the numbers to your local post office.  Ask person to trace the shipments.  That may be possible.

I called our local P.O. about that.  I had the tracking number.  But they couldn't help me, other then saying they didn't have the package.  The recorded message also said that the local p.o. would not have that information.

Edit: I just received a package addressed to me....but it wasn't my sweater!