Respected Contributor

Re: Real estate listing advice

We sold a home last summer.  I interviewed 4 or 5 agents.  3 were pretty knowledgable of my area (I lived in an association).  Each agent's listing price varied greatly, which surprised me because when researching it said they'd be within a couple of thousand of each other.  I narrowed it down to 2.  The one I went with was the one that  had the most recent sale in my area (and received full asking price).  I didn't go with the other because even though he had listings in my area, he contiously lowered prices.  I was in the situation where I wanted to sell, and sell quick...at a fair price.  A huge factor in choosing the one that I did was that she was the only realtor who talked about making the house appraise.  You can list your house for whatever you want, but if it doesn't appraise, then you have a problem.  I think we went in with a very fair asking price for our house.  It was well kept, and all the things a buyer would be looking for.  We sold in 4 days, full asking price and had a backup offer the same.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie

Not sure why homeowners expect the listing agent to bring lots of prospective buyers - that's why  listings go in the MLS -- so hundreds/thousands realtors are aware of the house. Open Houses rarely sell the house --- realtors do it as a courtesy - and also to pick up future buyers/sellers. Houses that are priced right, have curb appeal and are clean and uncluttered - will sell. Most of it depends on whether it's a buyers market or sellers market, time of year, and if u have a typical house for your area.

I live in Oxnard, CA (southern Calif) - there is no inventory. If a house goes up for sale, there are multiple offers.

As for a listing agent --- best to interview at least 4 or 5 agents in ur area --- they must be familiar with ur area/tract. If there are similar houses around - the realtor should take u to see it - as a comparison. You need to get a sense of how to price it. Since ur house is unique -- it may take a little longer. See which agent ur comfortable with. Ask them their opinion of ur house and what u could do to improve it, ie, flowers out front, changing something, cleaning the carpets, etc. Don't have too many family pictures on the walls - when people walk in the home, they need to imagine themselves living in it. Make sure it smells fresh - an Air Wick Plug-In freshener.

Definitely call a Realtor - do not attempt to sell ur house yourself. You need a lockbox on ur property - so realtors can show ur house; realtors know how to write up the tons of paperwork, they answer all ur questions of what to expect; everything is written out properly in the contract. Realtors earn their commissions - and if u sell without a realtor, the buyer expects to pay a lot less. Would u "be ur own lawyer"?

Honored Contributor

@kivah  You are so right.

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I've sold a condominium and a house and both could have gone better.  The first time, I interviewed 3 realtors from different companies.  I picked the one I connected with.  She was a bad choice.  My condominium was on the market over six months.  I moved out of state after listing it.  I couldn't reach her by phone.  The house sale was better.  I used the realtor who sold it to me.

How long have you been a realtor.

How do you plan on marketing the house.  I.e. realtor showings, open houses, newspapers, etc.

How does your marketing plan change if there is no interest in 30 days.

What do you see as a challenge/obstacle with the house/location.  

How many houses have you sold in the past year.

What was the shortest and longest number of days on the market.

Do you do 90 day contracts.

Does the realtor have a ton of properties on the market, may be stretched too thin.

It's been awhile since we sold a house, but there were 30 day listings and even a 24 hour listing with a Realtor if you wanted to do so.

If you are in doubt (and we got a less than great Realtor the last time we sold), the shorter listing allows you to move on to someone else if this first one turns out to be a dud, no matter how thorough you tried to be. If they seem good, you can always reup with them.

Valued Contributor

You have had many good replies.

Pictures! Make sure they are excellent. This is crucial. Your home will likely be sold in large part due to photos.

Open houses are only for the realtor to find clients. They rarely sell your house.

Do not choose a realtor who does newspaper ads or those old home books. Find someone who markets online beautifully and handles your contracts electronically.
Valued Contributor

Thank you for all of the great advice. I have written all of my questions down and will start doing some interviewing. I am limited to a couple large firms and the one realtor I thought about calling had 68 listings, don't think so. Pricing is so important also. That's where I have a problem. Again thank you all

Honored Contributor

There are 2 kinds of open houses - the kind where the house is open to the public and an agents open house. Our realtor held an agents open house . We were there to answer questions. It was a weekday morning - I served pasteries & coffee & tea.About 30 agents attended & they asked a lot of questions & gave us a lot of input. Several of them brought buyers to see the house in the week following the open house. 

In my opinion the key to selling a house is listing it for the right price.

Respected Contributor

How eager are they to sell your house is very important.  Are they available when you need them - do they return calls or emails promptly? 

Being honest about pricing your house is key to selling it.  If it's listed too high, it won't sell.