Valued Contributor

@Justice4all wrote:
Or even "Rank"

It's okay.  We can't smell you through our computer screens!  Woman Very Happy 

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde
Esteemed Contributor

I started a thread about this on another forum when I first noticed the rankings, out of curiosity.  Now I wish I hadn't.  But there have been many threads and posts covering the whole spectrum of feelings about it.  I'm not going to get into the whys and wherefores of it anymore, as I said, but I just have to question, if people truly don't care, then why do so many continue to post and ridicule and question and challenge the whole concept?  That's all...

Valued Contributor

@kittymomNC wrote:

I started a thread about this on another forum when I first noticed the rankings, out of curiosity.  Now I wish I hadn't.  But there have been many threads and posts covering the whole spectrum of feelings about it.  I'm not going to get into the whys and wherefores of it anymore, as I said, but I just have to question, if people truly don't care, then why do so many continue to post and ridicule and question and challenge the whole concept?  That's all...

You mean it's kind of . . .

"Methinks thou doth protest too much!" 

Woman Surprised

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde
Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Heaven help us if some of the posters on these Boards ever reaches "Exalted" status. 

The word alone...the behavior is already there, they just need the title to cap things off.

LOL 

Super Contributor
Right, kittymomNC!! That's all I was wondering about, too!!! Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor
I think if the U.S. Air Force trusted me enough to give me a Top Secret security clearance, I should at least be a "trusted contributor".
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@kittymomNC wrote:

I just received an email from moderator Beth about the contributor designations (I posted earlier that I took a chance and emailed asking them to give some explanation).  

She said that the designations are helpful to people new to the Community and trying to get to know other posters.  She also said that the designations are based on a mixture of actions, and that no one action will improve a person's contributor status.  That's all she could tell me now, but said they will be posting something in the forums after the July 4th weekend.  

Apparently the PTB have reasons for doing this, and hopefully the moderators  will be able to post something to explain the reasoning behind it.  

Hi Kittymom, has there been an update on this at all? Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Re: Ratings....

[ Edited ]

I assumed the Contribuor ranking/title was based solely on number of posts still attributed to the poster after the forum upgrade.

At least, other forums where I read and post have that kind of system.  For example, 1-200 posts equal Newbie; 201-400 posts equal Regular, etc.

Nothing else would make sense to me, because it's not feasible to rank individual contributors (thousands of us!) based on subjective criteria.  Jmo.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ratings....

[ Edited ]

I just got a notice that I'm "esteemed."  Since so much has been said about these designations and there's a sort of unfortunate undercurrent of shaming and mockery going on (even though we have no control over the so-called "ranking") I think the levels serve absolutely no purpose and I do wish the PTB would just remove them.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Me, too, @dooBdoo.  Ditch the titles; keep the hearts.