Valued Contributor

Re: Ratings....

[ Edited ]

Well. I'm only a "Frequent Contributor" although in the switch over, they "lost", oh, only about 850 of my previously-posted comments.

So while my new counter currently shows 106 posts, the actual count should have been closer to 1000.

But whatchagunnadoooo about such things?

Typically, on forums, one moves up a ranking ladder, so to speak, based upon the number of posts one has made. And its even clearer with the new moderation army that no posts will remain up (and therefore counted) it they don't meet guidelines. A good side effect of such new order moderation is that no one can just flood the forum with junk posts merely in an effort to see their tally (and therefore their ranking) rise.

But then there are always the victims of a switch over (that would be MEEEE) who lose rank because hundreds of previously posted comments go missing (yes...literally in the night).

So I sit here (most adorably, mind you) and realize that one's value is never reliant upon the click of any button (or format change or capricious post count). Smiley Happy

I shall live. I shall learn to love and laugh again. And as God as my witness, as God is my witness they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be under-tallied again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat or kill. As God is my witness, I'll never be under-tallied again!!!!!

Well, you get the point. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

By any chance did you give another poster a tip on how to navigate the boards or something similar?  I swear I got my two "raises" after I tried to help someone and figured a mod/webbie just happened to see it???  

Yeah, but who knows or cares anyhow?  LOL.  I would be hurt if I was suddenly demoted thoughCat Wink

Respected Contributor

Hello, Gidge. Smiley Happy

I think it's just based on the post count and that's all. It might mean that a person has just been posting a lot.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Honored Contributor

For argument's sake look at the poster on this thread who has 11,000 posts to her name and a super ranking.  I am credited with half as many posts but am either valued or respected (can't remember which--lol).  

In the end who cares and maybe the Q should not make the distinctions between posters.  

I still like the hearts instead of going onto a post simply to say I agree with a post.

Anyway, YMMV.

Esteemed Contributor

I just received an email from moderator Beth about the contributor designations (I posted earlier that I took a chance and emailed asking them to give some explanation).  

She said that the designations are helpful to people new to the Community and trying to get to know other posters.  She also said that the designations are based on a mixture of actions, and that no one action will improve a person's contributor status.  That's all she could tell me now, but said they will be posting something in the forums after the July 4th weekend.  

Apparently the PTB have reasons for doing this, and hopefully the moderators  will be able to post something to explain the reasoning behind it.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Interesting, kittymom.  Thanks for asking about the ratings.  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Re: Ratings....

[ Edited ]

@kittymomNC wrote:

I just received an email from moderator Beth about the contributor designations (I posted earlier that I took a chance and emailed asking them to give some explanation).  

She said that the designations are helpful to people new to the Community and trying to get to know other posters.  She also said that the designations are based on a mixture of actions, and that no one action will improve a person's contributor status.  That's all she could tell me now, but said they will be posting something in the forums after the July 4th weekend.  

Apparently the PTB have reasons for doing this, and hopefully the moderators  will be able to post something to explain the reasoning behind it.  

Well, let's just hope that their method and reasoning are objective. That's why it ought to be based on post count. Again, especially now, since if they don't 'like" a post (objectively) its deleted.

I think any response from them which is an additional layer of some highly (or even partially) subjective criteria will do nothing but create bad feelings or more disharmony. After all, its suppose to be a Q forums community. No one likes to be made to feel second class in any community in which they participate. And more devisive and subjective layers added to the equation will only do harm to that ambition. IMHO.

Already, a huge portion of users feel a bit alienated due the mystery moderation. To add more subjective "decision-making" to that would only further erode the already fragile trust in who is and what is controlling things behind the scenes.

Its what happens when places get too busy and too involved in every minutia. One risks doing more damage than good.

Honored Contributor

Good points, surfk.

Honored Contributor

I agree that some posters are taking this way too seriously. 

I think it's kind of funny and even changed my avatar so show off my grand poobah hat for a couple of hours last night after my last promotion.  

I think you need a healthy sense of humor in this new forum :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I thought it WAS based on post counts.  Your value as a person increases everytime you post. Ok.

Honestly - I'm not sure what the big whoop is over this - and since it won't be the last time we hear about it - no sense admonishing others that this topic has already been discussed.  LOL

I actually don't care.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh