Honored Contributor

Re: Ratings....

[ Edited ]

I'm not a fan of labels on people here or anywhere else, but as others have said before just about every social media site has some form of labeling their members, adding "ranks," that sort of thing.   Before the switch to this new forum, some of us noticed post counts and sometimes ascribed meanings to them (negative or positive), even though the number itself didn't really tell us much of anything of substance.  Now we have these odd rankings, which also tell us little or nothing.

I'm more interested in what's written in a post than in the post count or rank and I try very hard to be accepting of all the posters, no matter how the forum tries to assign labels.

I don't see anything wrong with posters asking questions.  No one can be here 365/24/7 (I doubt anyone would want to be!) so we never know when the question and answers will be new to someone reading here.  As that saying goes, in the end "it's all good."Robot Happy

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Valued Contributor

When I came on these "new and improved" boards the first day, everything was so hard to read.  The only words I could see were "Super Contributor."  I actually thought someone had given themselves that nickname.  And then I thought, Man, they're writing ALL the posts! Smiley LOL

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Super Contributor
Again, I don't care, nor does it matter; I had just noticed and was curious why we were rated in the first place! Thanks to the kind posters who backed me! I'll try to be more mindful of any future posts!! (I say tongue-in-cheek!!)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The ratings or whatever they are aren't important to me
but there's no reason people shouldn't ask about things.

😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Valued Contributor

Re: Rankings . . . not Ratings

[ Edited ]

I found something from another bulletin board, that seems to use these same "rankings."

Here's the info:

Ranking Overview

What

The short phrase that appears with your user name  in your posts is your rank.

Why

Ranks are used to indicate the number, quality, and impact of your posts. As you spend more time in the community participating, your ranking level will progress.

How

The Community has a distinct set of ranking ladders which match your natural behavioral tendencies to either collect, contribute, or advise within the threads

A community member starts as a “New Member” and depending on how often you visit and what you contribute will move through the following rankings.

-------------------------------------------------------

This is where it differs from the Q board.  The board I found has three levels - "Member," "Collector," and "Contributor."  The Q board skips the "Member" and "Collector" levels and goes straight to the "Contributor" levels.  These are all the ranks listed under the "Contributor" level:

Occasional Contributor

Contributor

Frequent Contributor

Regular Contributor

Super Contributor

Valued Contributor

Trusted Contributor

Respected Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

Honored Contributor

Outstanding Contributor

Acclaimed Contributor

Exalted Contributor

Whew!  There's no "Queen," so I guess I can stop worrying!  Woman Wink

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

SuiGeneris wrote:

I found something from another bulletin board, that seems to use these same "rankings."

Here's the info:

Ranking Overview

What

The short phrase that appears with your user name  in your posts is your rank.

Why

Ranks are used to indicate the number, quality, and impact of your posts. As you spend more time in the community participating, your ranking level will progress.

How

The Community has a distinct set of ranking ladders which match your natural behavioral tendencies to either collect, contribute, or advise within the threads

A community member starts as a “New Member” and depending on how often you visit and what you contribute will move through the following rankings.

-------------------------------------------------------

This is where it differs from the Q board.  The board I found has three levels - "Member," "Collector," and "Contributor."  The Q board skips the "Member" and "Collector" levels and goes straight to the "Contributor" levels.  These are all the levels listed:

Occasional Contributor

Contributor

Frequent Contributor

Regular Contributor

Super Contributor

Valued Contributor

Trusted Contributor

Respected Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

Honored Contributor

Outstanding Contributor

Acclaimed Contributor

Exalted Contributor

Whew!  There's no "Queen," so I guess I can stop worrying!  Woman Wink

@SuiGeneris, You got me at "Exalted!"  You really did make me laugh out loud, and now I've scared my cat!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Valued Contributor

I'm just glad they don't have an "Uber Contributor" on there!

(Maybe I shouldn't be posting this.  I don't want to give them any ideas.)

Cat LOLCat LOLCat LOL

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@scotttie wrote:

I think it has to do with how many posts you had before they changed the forums.  I think I'm, what, a super contributor?  I haven't been here very much at all since the changeover so it has to be because of my previous post count.  I believe the mods addressed this when they said they were only going to go back as far as the year 200? and so people would lose lots of their posts.  It's my understanding that this "rating" was to make up for that.  

Not something I care about at all.  But that's my understanding.

I don't give a ratz azz about the ratings but it appears to be more more than how many posts you have or stars.  I think I have fewer posts listed than you.

I wish they would do away with the ratings though since it causes confusion and some hard feelings. 

I'll trade my rating for a piece of good milk chocolate.  

Honored Contributor

i dont know what they mean and rarely pay attention to that new feature. it doesnt bother me one way or another.  i do know that mine changed sometime yesterday because i received a notification.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Oh my! Exalted Contributor?!  Can you give me a Hallelujah? LOL

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs46/f/2009/150/c/8/HALLELUJAH_by_Cats_Eye_93.jpg

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In