Respected Contributor

Do Canadian pharmacies only accept scripts from Canadian drs.?  If your doc here writes you a script, would the Canadian pharmacy fill it for you if you emailed or faxed or mailed a copy?

I bought a tube of Diclofenac as an OTC at a pharmacy in Nogales, Sonora, Mexico about 11 years ago, but that may have changed, as I haven't gone across the border since then. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I am beyond angry.  Last night I tried to place an order with the Canadian pharmacy from which I've ordered Voltaren Ointment for years.  It's the only thing that helps my stiff lower back when I first try to get up in the morning.  It's a very benign product and was being sold OTC at Walmart when I was in Canada 3 years ago. 

When I didn't see it on the list of products they carry, I shot off a message to the pharmacy and received a response today:

"Due to recent and unexpected pharmaceutical regulation changes, we are no longer able to ship Voltaren outside of Canada and have removed it from the items we carry.

This makes me wonder if Canada has discontinued selling prescription drugs to US Citizens period.  I'm sure this has been a huge money-maker for Canada so what do you suppose the reason is? 

@Kachina624

Benign?   Voltaren?   My doc prescribed Voltaren Gel and after reading all the scary side effects and reactions, I refused to use it!    This is not a benign product.

Honored Contributor

Pharmacies in other countries will take prescriptions written by US doctors.  The reason so many people buy drugs in Mexico and India is they don't require prescriptions. 

I checked my mail-order pharmacy and Voltaren gel is not in their formulary.  My friend called me today and says she bought several tubes this winter but rarely uses it so she's going to sell me one of her tubes. 

@aubnwa01  I do have a Mexican pharmacy bookmarked where it appears I can get Voltaren Gel. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

You know what I don't understand is how these insurance companies expect seniors to pay high prices for drugs.  The first tier in my prescription drugs is okay but when I go into the second tier two drugs I need are $160.00 each.  I cannot afford that so I stop taking one.  Isn't that a shame?  You have my sympathy because drugs in the U.S. are expensive.  So sorry Canada changed it's laws.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 Oh dear, I don't like it that you have that stiff lower back pain in the morning! Woman Sad Have you tried Arnicare Gel? It really helped me last year when my back was 'out' ... just trying to help! Woman Happy

Boiron Arnicare Gel, 2.6 Ounce, Homeopathic Medicine for Pain Relief and Bruises

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  I'm in Michigan and work in downtown Detroit.  It's been years but I knew a couple of people who used to make the trip to Windsor to buy some OTC pain medication (think along the lines of a powerful ibuprofen or something like that) and then they'd bring it back across the border.

This isn't the same thing exactly - my doctor put me on brand name synthroid straight out of the gate in early 2014.  She felt that the consistency in the brand name 'recipe' of the drug made it easier to keep a patient on a consistent dose with less blood draws throughout the year to test TSH/T4.

I work for a major health insurance company in MI and know all about custom and regular formularies.  My insurance prefers step therapy - do generic first, prove it doesn't work and maybe they will approve brand name.

I can't stand doctors as it it and never asked my endocrinologist to go through the rigamarole to get my insurance company (employer) to approve brand name.

For a couple of years I paid the approved amount of the RX.  Never made it in and out of the pharmacy with just a copay.

My insurance changed in Jan of this year.  Brand name synthroid was going to be a straight up - reject the claim.  I was talking to one of the ladies who works in our pharmacy department and told her - that's it's I'm going to Canada for my drugs.  

In April, I saw my endocrinologist and told her - don't call in the RX - I'm probably going to get it filled in Canada.  I also said, yea I know it's illegal - just write the RX.

She hooked me up with Abbott Labs - synthroid direct and I am able to get my RX at the best price ever - without involving insurance.

My point of the story is this - I feel for you and understand the frustration of not being able to get a product that helps you.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@Kachina624  I'm in Michigan and work in downtown Detroit.  It's been years but I knew a couple of people who used to make the trip to Windsor to buy some OTC pain medication (think along the lines of a powerful ibuprofen or something like that) and then they'd bring it back across the border.

This isn't the same thing exactly - my doctor put me on brand name synthroid straight out of the gate in early 2014.  She felt that the consistency in the brand name 'recipe' of the drug made it easier to keep a patient on a consistent dose with less blood draws throughout the year to test TSH/T4.

I work for a major health insurance company in MI and know all about custom and regular formularies.  My insurance prefers step therapy - do generic first, prove it doesn't work and maybe they will approve brand name.

I can't stand doctors as it it and never asked my endocrinologist to go through the rigamarole to get my insurance company (employer) to approve brand name.

For a couple of years I paid the approved amount of the RX.  Never made it in and out of the pharmacy with just a copay.

My insurance changed in Jan of this year.  Brand name synthroid was going to be a straight up - reject the claim.  I was talking to one of the ladies who works in our pharmacy department and told her - that's it's I'm going to Canada for my drugs.  

In April, I saw my endocrinologist and told her - don't call in the RX - I'm probably going to get it filled in Canada.  I also said, yea I know it's illegal - just write the RX.

She hooked me up with Abbott Labs - synthroid direct and I am able to get my RX at the best price ever - without involving insurance.

My point of the story is this - I feel for you and understand the frustration of not being able to get a product that helps you.

@Bird mama     @Kachina624

My sister goes across the border in Niagara Falls NY to purchase 222 aspirin with codeine.  Actually, the company that makes 222s recently stopped making it, and a couple companies make a generic version.    It's very good stuff if you get bad headaches or  have other chronic pain.  That little smidge of codeine really makes a difference!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44

Thank you, for the life of me I couldn't remember the name - that's it!

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

FYI:

I know you've done your research & homework regarding Voltaren gel.

I had picked up my Rx today for it. I asked the Pharmacist if I could get name brand vs generic. He said my dr wrote script ok for generic. My copay was $10 for today (1 tube).

He looked up what the insurance would pay for non-generic (based on my insurance) and I would pay $22 tube. Although, if I wanted this I would have to get dr to contact Rx insurance company to get approval.  Apparently, once the generic is available then it is the "approved" one.  

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 Appreciate the information but Voltaren is not available at all through my mail order drug company.  It's not in their formulary.  I think I can get it from Mexico.  My friend sold me a tube she had and didn't need, so I'm okay for the short term. 

Have you all noticed that drug abusers have no problem getting what they want?  The rest of us, who play by the rules, have to jump through hoops. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment