Honored Contributor

Random Thoughts: Tea And Shipping in General

I ordered tea from Fortnum and Mason Monday.  Even with $31 shipping, I buy several kinds and it is way cheaper than buying it here so I do this spring and fall.  It came yesterday--Thursday.  From London. I had that happen last time. It still amazes me. DHL delivered it to my door in pouring rain. Well packed and in a nice box!

Most of my packages that weren't USPS used to come UPS.  They came mostly after 6:30 or so after the truck left the retail run and was going back to Oklahoma City.

Now things are coming mostly FedEx and, surprise surprise, they seem to have their act together and are doing a good delivery job--arriving about noon, with e-mail updates.

And I notice now, some packages don't include receipts and return labels.

Honored Contributor

Re: Random Thoughts: Tea And Shipping in General

I got 2 clothing items in the same package today delivered by UPS.  They were here, delivered a big heavy item and a pair of pants from HSN, but there was no sign of anything else.  My dogs heard him, I was out there before he got back to the truck so nobody took it.  Guess I'll be calling CS.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I have found that some of Fed Ex's email updates were more aspirational than accurate.

It probably depends on locale as to whether UPS or FedEx has the better reach.

But international shipping from Monday to Friday is certainly impressive.

Did you every order from the English Tea Store?  They have a wide assortment of English teas (although not F&M of course) with 20% off this weekend.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the F&M review, I'm tempted! 

WS carries F&M......or did but I always wondered how fresh it was.

Honored Contributor

@Bookplate wrote:

I have found that some of Fed Ex's email updates were more aspirational than accurate.

It probably depends on locale as to whether UPS or FedEx has the better reach.

But international shipping from Monday to Friday is certainly impressive.

Did you every order from the English Tea Store?  They have a wide assortment of English teas (although not F&M of course) with 20% off this weekend.

@Bookplate LOL!!  Yes I have ordered from the English Tea Store and my husband LOVES their candies.  They have a lot of great items, but not the F&M teas.Williams Sonoma and Amazon have some but at a much higher cost!  Oh no. 20percent???Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Bookplate The fact that FedEx in accurate and timely with their e-mails and deliveries has astonished me.  They were THE worst up until about a month ago.  They would be up and down the street all day zip past the house and never deliver my package.

Now here it comes on time! I hope it lasts!  UPS just sorta hurls it off on their way home if we're lucky.

Honored Contributor

I've noticed the switch to Fedex too for what I order. I am thrilled.

I refuse to order from anyone that uses the post office. I've lost count how many packages they lost or misdelivered. I won't order, unless desperate, from anyone that chooses to use them and that can hurt on free shipping days but I'm tired of the part time job tracking down or disputing charges or waiting for a replacement. 

I also made the switch to have things shipped to my work instead of home which consistently seems to be a problem. For some reason, the post office and UPS can find the business address but where I live down the street, they don't know.  

Amazon and Fedex are my buddies right now. I don't order a lot but what I do I like to receive. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  FedEx is usually bad around my area.  I have trouble with them for delivery to the wrong address.  Twice my neighbors carried the packages over to me.  The worst thing they ever did was sent a package from Shopbop to my address but 2 states over.  They threw it on a truck without checking the zip code. I called them to investigate.  A week later, my package arrived (they threw it on the porch) They have improved somewhat recently. Had no trouble with them. Many more stores choose FedEx because they are cheaper then UPS.  UPS is very good or very bad.  All the time.  So in a weird way they are reliable.  

Honored Contributor

@songbird LOL!!! Good and accurate perspective!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@songbird LOL!!! Good and accurate perspective!

*blushes*