Esteemed Contributor

Re: Random Musing: Being Replaced

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Your post made me think of how I never viewed my job as anything but a job.  I was only a placeholder until I retired, then it was someone else's responsibility.

Someone once told me "never let in that you can do more because it will be the last time you do so little". To me a job was a job and I came in, did my job and went home. When I left they always seemed to manage.

Esteemed Contributor

@tarsmom  and @deepwaterdotter . Check out what @Porcelain  posted. Good stuff. I was an educator for nearly 20 years, and then I went into the business world. I was well aware of the "everyone is replaceable" motto. But, as an office administrator, I saw some employees who were such assets to the company, their departure hurt the bottom line. One of the main goals of admin was retention. The most valuable employees were those who helped the company to grow and improve. It's hard to replace them.

Esteemed Contributor

My first long term (8 yrs.) job outside the home was a resturant. The owner/chef was very tempermental.

My 8th year in January he was just unbearable, worse than ever. Everyone was ready to bail. I talked to his wife, who said she didn't know what his problem was. I said, "well, he's going to lose good people."  Her reply was, "well, he will just hire more."

It went like this, me, "so all the holidays, kids birthdays, anniversaries we gave up to work doesn't count?"  Her, "not really."

I gave my notice the next shift and she actually asked, "why?"

Esteemed Contributor

The job may stay vacant forever but the work gets transfered to another employee. Ask how I know? 😭

I've never been that dedicated to any employer. I take my job seriously and oroduce results that I trade for a check. 

When I need to go, I go. Never a tear shed.

Valued Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

My first long term (8 yrs.) job outside the home was a resturant. The owner/chef was very tempermental.

My 8th year in January he was just unbearable, worse than ever. Everyone was ready to bail. I talked to his wife, who said she didn't know what his problem was. I said, "well, he's going to lose good people."  Her reply was, "well, he will just hire more."

It went like this, me, "so all the holidays, kids birthdays, anniversaries we gave up to work doesn't count?"  Her, "not really."

I gave my notice the next shift and she actually asked, "why?"

@CrazyKittyLvr2   that really stinks.  I was lucky to work for a place that did value us.  I, in turn, valued my employees.  When they had to come in on their day off, I would surprise them and give them a different day off.  Treat people how you want to be treated.  I don't know why employers don't realize you get back what you give. 

Valued Contributor

In banking, it was more 'family oriented".  We bought the employees gift cards, candy a cake, etc. for their birthdays and work anniversaries.  We had "employee appreciation week" every October, and we surprised them each day with a treat - a gift bag with a candle, lip balm, coffee gift card, snacks, etc.  

Our staff meetings included recognizing achievements of the employees, many times by their peers.  

It definitely was a primary focus on 'feel-good' for the employees.  Very personal.

I worked 12 years with one person who was my assistant.  I had a lot of loyal staff.  Not so much after the year 2006 - a new generation came in and they didn't care like we did.

We took pride in our jobs and our customers loved us.  Later on, unfortunately, not so much.

Glad I"m old now.  If I could work 3-4 hours a day, I would.  But you can never really go back and hey, I like my free time Smiley Happy