Honored Contributor

So what did you find out about your TV set?

On 8/2/2012 Rainbows and Roses said:

My tv is only 10 years old. Today I thought something was wrong with the station channel but after checking several channels it is flickering and showing some black and coming back showing some of the show but giving a crazy picture. Does this sound like it is going out for good?

Only 10 years old? I am assuming this is a CRT TV set, which is easy to tell because they weigh a ton. If you have anything connected to it, like say a VCR/DVD Player/TiVo/DVR, the first place to start would be making sure all the connections are still connected tightly.

It also could be a cable of any kind that is the culprit. Is it just a certain station that does this or is it all the channels you watch?

I have been into video and audio since I was 15 years old, but to be able to diagnose a 10 year old TV set by typing? I would need everything you know about exactly what this TV set is doing/for how long/and how long has the set been on when it happens. Just a few of the many things I would have to know.

Cable connections is always where I start as many times they do come loose, and if not loose, some go bad. Of course this is a process of elimination, and you have to be willing to put in some time going through the steps.

If you want to tell me as much as you can, and then follow the tips I give you, I would certainly be happy to try to help you with this problem.

You might also "copy/paste" this same thread over on the "Electronics Talk Forum", there are some smart people over there that do not always visit Viewpoints.

hckynut(john)