Honored Contributor

Re: Rabies Shot Side Effects

On 8/3/2014 ID2 said:
On 8/3/2014 jaxs mom said:

The only cat I've ever gotten a rabies shot for was the stray I was feeding that was living outside. I don't give them to my indoor cats. If I was going to give one, it would be purevax because it's free from adjuvants which are linked to sarcoma in cats.

Its against the law to house animals without a rabies vaccine. Call you city hall, they'll tell you the same thing.

I don't care. Animals are highly over vaccinated as it is already with negative consequences like renal failure due to the kidney cells used in some vaccines.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Frequent Contributor

KittyMomNC how did your cat's exam and rabies shot go? I'm planning on taking my cat to get his shot this coming week.

Super Contributor

CatLover2, this subject was recently discussed on Viewpoints Forum. You might find the responses informative, and/or of interest. I have my own opinion on rabies vaccines!

Good luck!!

Does my inside only cat need vaccines?

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/9/2014 CatLover2 said:

KittyMomNC how did your cat's exam and rabies shot go? I'm planning on taking my cat to get his shot this coming week.

Thanks for asking. I was wondering if you had taken yours yet as well.

I procrastinated again, and called one of my vets to talk to her about the phenobarbital pill. She settled my mind a little more about it, and said that they've been using that for a long time and she has never seen a bad reaction. Of course, that's not to say it couldn't happen. So I rescheduled for this coming Thursday--she's 2 months past due so I will have to bite the bullet and do it.

I hope everything goes well with yours. Come back and let us know.

Esteemed Contributor

I understand that sometimes it's an owner's choice whether to give an indoor cat a rabies vaccine. In some states, you don't have a choice unless you keep it under wraps. However, the reason a lot of people give for not doing the rabies is that they never go outside. Maybe not, but accidents do happen, as it did with one of mine years ago.

I was at my vet's office yesterday afternoon for my Baby Cat's fluid treatment, and while I was making an appt for my other cat, a girl ran in the door, very upset, and said could someone help...her cat had gotten out of the carrier while they were bringing it in and she couldn't find it. She said something had happened to the carrier, which I didn't understand, but just about every tech, assistant, kennel people, etc. ran out the doors to look for the cat. My vet's office is located on a busy 4-lane road, with woods around one side, a housing development behind, and woods across the road. This cat could have gone anywhere.

I was there for another 10 minutes, then I checked out, and when I pulled out of the parking lot, I saw 3 of the vet guys walking back down the side street and one girl looking under the bushes in front. I don't know if they found the cat, and it upset me a great deal.

I would hate to know, if something like this did happen, that I was responsible for leaving my cat unprotected by not getting the appropriate shots.

Trusted Contributor

As several have already stated, do not give other shots at the same visit. I lost my sweet miniature poodle due to side effects from the rabies & distemper being given at the same visit. She suffered horribly for a year due to reactions as well as what was given to her to “help” with the reactions (steroids among others). She would pull her fur out with her teeth because she was in such internal anguish. I eventually took her to a holistic vet that helped ease the reaction but her whole system was so weakened and worn down at that point, she just could not come back from the experience. It was horrible for her to go through and horrible to not be able to fix it for her. It haunts me to this day that I authorized those two shots, thinking I was helping her. Vets have a hard time acknowledging the effects of some of the vaccines. That is a regular part of their business, but an increasing number of animals do suffer reactions, so you are wise to ask questions about it.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Frequent Contributor

Pumpkin got his rabies shot today and he's doing just fine he just got the 1 year shot because the Vet doesn't give older cats the 3 year shot because of the side effects.

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/15/2014 MyBoyPumpkin said:

Pumpkin got his rabies shot today and he's doing just fine he just got the 1 year shot because the Vet doesn't give older cats the 3 year shot because of the side effects.

I'm glad to hear that Pumpkin is doing well after his rabies shot. I know you were so worried about it and unsure what to do. I had to postpone my Missie's appointment again, but now she's scheduled for next week. I still don't want to give her the sedative pill, and then her shots on top of that, but I don't see that I have any choice. It's scary, just like it is with real children. Anyway, glad it's over with for you, and that Pumpkin is doing fine!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}