Respected Contributor

Re: RN's--How will your hospital deal with a symptomatic Ebola patient????

hmmm. i think better safe than sorry - especially when you are in charge of another's life i was just reading in Le Monde there is an ebola outbreak now in Congo, a separate strain, surfacing this past August - as some have suggested, look at the map. 2300 miles away. hmmmm..... perhaps some here should reconsider their comments and lighten up a bit.

Respected Contributor

On 10/16/2014 terrier3 said:
On 10/16/2014 Remee said:
On 10/16/2014 terrier3 said:
On 10/16/2014 Jersey Born said:

The problem is that no hospital in our country is prepared unless and until they are properly trained to handle Level 4 pathogens, and are provided with full body gear to protect them, and are instructed in how to deal with the infected waste from ebola patients. Negative air pressure rooms for ebola patients are a must, too, but they should have the capacity to handle hundreds of patients, rather than one or two.

Sadly, only four hospitals in our nation are properly trained, prepared, and equipped to handle ebola patients. Our local hospitals are not. Anything said to the contrary is an outright lie. We should be refusing to allow travel to our country from those regions experiencing an outbreak.

Dallas is the region with the largest US outbreak...and the hospital admitted they failed.

Should we be refusing travel in and out of Dallas? It's a logical step and would have prevented Nurse #2 from going to Ohio.

Our country does not have "an outbreak." A couple of people contracted the virus

....and posters here are calling for no more flights to or from West Africa (there aren't any direct flights anyway).

I am trying to point out the irony of the situation...

Terrier, I would imagine the people leaving from Africa have passports in order to be able to fly in an airplane to another country. It shouldn't be too hard to determine where a person is from at any airport whether or not they travel directly into the US from one of the affected nations.

Second, nurses and doctors who are involved with the direct treatment of ebola patients, and I don't mean suspected ebola patients, I mean confirmed ebola patients, should not be taking public transportation until 21 days after their last exposure to the patient at the earliest. People involved in direct ebola patient care should quarantine themselves to protect their family members and others in their community and elsewhere. This is a Level 4 pathogen with a high mortality rate.

Respected Contributor

How many cases of Lassa Fever were treated here in the US, Pitdakota, and at which hospitals were they treated?

Respected Contributor

On 10/16/2014 wildcherry said:

The problem is that no hospital in our country is prepared unless and until they are properly trained to handle Level 4 pathogens, and are provided with full body gear to protect them, and are instructed in how to deal with the infected waste from ebola patients. Negative air pressure rooms for ebola patients are a must, too, but they should have the capacity to handle hundreds of patients, rather than one or two.

Sadly, only four hospitals in our nation are properly trained, prepared, and equipped to handle ebola patients. Our local hospitals are not. Anything said to the contrary is an outright lie. We should be refusing to allow travel to our country from those regions experiencing an outbreak.

Jersey Born, I couldn't agree more. There is no way that I am going to believe that all the local hospitals all over the country are ready. Dallas failed yes, and I hope the medical community can learn from this. In a perfect world everyone else will be ready and put Dallas to shame. Hello! we are not in some fantasy world. For us realistic folk without the rose colored glasses, it ain't gonna happen.

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

On 10/16/2014 wildcherry said:

Jersey Born, I couldn't agree more. There is no way that I am going to believe that all the local hospitals all over the country are ready. Dallas failed yes, and I hope the medical community can learn from this. In a perfect world everyone else will be ready and put Dallas to shame. Hello! we are not in some fantasy world. For us realistic folk without the rose colored glasses, it ain't gonna happen.

Thanks!

I totally agree with both of the above comments. Sadly, there are many in this country that will continue to wear those rose colored glasses no matter the risk.