Valued Contributor

Microsoft Internet Explorer, a browser familiar to many and loved by few, passed away today after a long illness. It was 19 years old.

Bowing to the inevitable, Microsoft admitted today that it had decided to remove IE from life support. (IE will, however, continue to receive tech support through at least 2016.) IE is survived by Windows, Office, and the Microsoft Mouse.

More: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/rip-internet-explorer-1995-2015-we-knew-ye-all-113889644524.html

Respected Contributor

Shoot. I don't like Chrome at all and am not crazy about Firefox either.

Super Contributor

Forgive me, but I am not at all tech-savvy. What does this really mean? I just opened IE on another window and it came right up. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Frequent Contributor

Don't worry, it's only the name and branding that's going away. Microsoft will continue to market browsers, they just won't be called Internet Explorer anymore, since that name has such a bad reputation.

Respected Contributor
On 3/17/2015 Gioiella said:

Don't worry, it's only the name and branding that's going away. Microsoft will continue to market browsers, they just won't be called Internet Explorer anymore, since that name has such a bad reputation.

Whew! Thank you.

Colonel Meow: I am not articulate enough to explain it to you but basically it is the computer program that you use when you go on the internet for anything.

Respected Contributor

RIP IE. You introduced me to the World Wide Web, but I outgrew you and moved on to my new love, Chrome. I will never forget you, but I'm just not that into you any more. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

IE was the 1st browser I used, so many years ago and so many computers ago.

It has been surpassed by so many other programs

RIP -- IE

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor
Well that explains THAT! I've been having a lot of trouble with it.
A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor
On 3/17/2015 beammeupscottie said:
On 3/17/2015 Gioiella said:

Whew! Thank you.

Colonel Meow: I am not articulate enough to explain it to you but basically it is the computer program that you use when you go on the internet for anything.

Oh, LOL - I know that! {#emotions_dlg.laugh} (I actually prefer to use Chrome, but still have IE on my desktop.) I meant "what does this really mean" because I am still able to pull it up - so clearly, it's not dead yet. Do they have a date in mind to completely disable this browser?

Valued Contributor
On 3/17/2015 Colonel Meow said:

Oh, LOL - I know that! {#emotions_dlg.laugh} (I actually prefer to use Chrome, but still have IE on my desktop.) I meant "what does this really mean" because I am still able to pull it up - so clearly, it's not dead yet. Do they have a date in mind to completely disable this browser?

It won' t be disabled and will be supported at least until sometime in 2016. When Windows 10 is released there will be a replacement browser that is currently named Project Spartan.